Do I have autism?

Hello,

First time posting here, but have been a long term lurker on various autism forums and websites.

I am a 39 year old male living in the UK, and I recently received my Social Services records. In them i discovered some aspects of my childhood, which leads me to think that I may have undiagnosed HFA / ASD.

These are the following statements which I have pulled from my records, which may be symptoms of Autism:-

- He appears to have no speech at all. There is no verbal interaction between mother and child.

- No idea of play even with simple toys.

- He makes little attempt to communicate, appearing at times to be in his own little world.

- Does not respond to simple instructions or questions.

- Unable to relate to other children.

- Does not point at things or make demands.

- Does not speak but utters a high pitched wail.

- Lack of speech.

- Lack of play.

- Lack of emotional response.

- Imaginative play is very weak.

- Always plays a role where he allows himself to be manipulated.

- Afraid to face a group because he cannot control the situation or hold his own with language.

- Seems to have no real friends although the children are willing to play with him.

- Late with toilet training. Didn't show any response when wet or dirty.

- Unable to put on clothes.

- Shakes his head side to side a lot.

- Seemed unaware of the existence of other children.

- Would sit and stare into space.

- No reaction to different tones of voice.

- Very often didn't look at you when you called his name.

I received speech therapy and received all my education in state schools.

I did the AQ test recently and received a score of 29.

In my work, I apparently organise everything to the last detail and have shown signs of OCD. Apparently I do get stressed easily at work and when stressed I do have a short temper.

Also I dislike having plans changed for events and I am not very spontaneous when it comes to new plans. It can take me a while to get used to the idea of a new plan.

So do I show signs of autism or am I worrying about nothing.

Arkasha22

Parents
  • Those kind of developmental delays could be ASD or could have been from severe neglect in your early years due to a parent being unable to meet your needs.She could had severe mental health problems herself.

If you decide to go for screening you need to let the person doing the screening know the details of your childhood in broad terms, bit that report also has some useful evidence too. 

What is the value? You sound like a real survivor despite what went on in your past. A diagnosis may give you a framework for trying new coping strategies. You may find that there are sensory triggers that make you more obsessive and by knowing that you might be able to modify environment enough to reduce poor coping

• Hello,

My mother was a single mother and she does suffer from Bi-Polar Disorder, so that could explain some things.

I was sexually abused from the ages of 4 to 14 by a family friend, so I did think that the start of the sexual abuse may have been traumatic enough  to stop  my speech development, although I have not heard of sexual abuse causing mutism in young children in other case histories I have read.

I am currently unsure whether to go for screening, as I am not sure whether it would make any difference to my life and also I am not completely convinced that I am on the Autism Spectrum even though I do have some of the traits.

Arkasha22

• Hello,

My mother was a single mother and she does suffer from Bi-Polar Disorder, so that could explain some things.

I was sexually abused from the ages of 4 to 14 by a family friend, so I did think that the start of the sexual abuse may have been traumatic enough  to stop  my speech development, although I have not heard of sexual abuse causing mutism in young children in other case histories I have read.

I am currently unsure whether to go for screening, as I am not sure whether it would make any difference to my life and also I am not completely convinced that I am on the Autism Spectrum even though I do have some of the traits.

Arkasha22

Children
No Data