hi

hi there

I'm new here so please excuse me if I ramble as I have a tendency to do that.

I have an 8yr old who is currently in year 4 going into year 5 in September all the way through school so far he has been behind because his birthday is in August I have always been told its his age and he is the youngest in his year. Today I found out that he is currently behind from where he should be. I was told last year when I questioned the school SENDCO about him being Autistic she said well we know his problems and he is on the Autistic spectrum but doesn't have just one thing he has multiples on the spectrum and if I wanted him assessed then I would need to go to Dr for a referral. Today after she told me he was only making slow progress I was shocked I have a meeting with her on the 17th July to talk about what's going to happen the next year but I have no idea which way to turn. My mum said go to Dr get a referral now at least if there is something wrong he can get the help he needs before big school or should I leave it till I have seen SENDCO then go down the GP route. first of all they thought he might have APD (auditory processing disorder) but test came back with nothing. I'm hoping somebody could put my mind at rest and help me get the help I think my son deserves

Parents
  • Hi,

I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time with your son - getting the help that he needs is important for both of you.

There are two routes to gaining a diagnostic assessment. You can either go through the NHS where you will need a referral from your GP to see a diagnostician (e.g. a paediatrician, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist with experience of the condition) or pay to go privately where you may not always need a referral. The cost of a private diagnosis can vary. We have heard cases of some local authorities not recognising a private diagnosis and for this reason some people opt to also stay within the NHS system.

Please see the following link for further information on getting a diagnosis: http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/all-about-diagnosis.aspx

If you choose to go through the NHS, you will need to talk to the GP about some of the characteristics and behaviours that make you suspect your child has the condition.  It is very important that your child is referred to a diagnostician with experience in the field of autism spectrum disorders. Details of diagnostic services can be found on our directory www.autism.org.uk/directory.

Our Autism Helpline may also be able to help. Advisers can talk through the assessment and diagnosis process with you. The Helpline is open Monday to Thursday 10am – 4pm and Friday 9am – 3pm on 0808 800 4104.  Please see the following link for further information: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/contact.aspx.

I hope that is of some help.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• Hi,

I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time with your son - getting the help that he needs is important for both of you.

There are two routes to gaining a diagnostic assessment. You can either go through the NHS where you will need a referral from your GP to see a diagnostician (e.g. a paediatrician, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist with experience of the condition) or pay to go privately where you may not always need a referral. The cost of a private diagnosis can vary. We have heard cases of some local authorities not recognising a private diagnosis and for this reason some people opt to also stay within the NHS system.

Please see the following link for further information on getting a diagnosis: http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/all-about-diagnosis.aspx

If you choose to go through the NHS, you will need to talk to the GP about some of the characteristics and behaviours that make you suspect your child has the condition.  It is very important that your child is referred to a diagnostician with experience in the field of autism spectrum disorders. Details of diagnostic services can be found on our directory www.autism.org.uk/directory.

Our Autism Helpline may also be able to help. Advisers can talk through the assessment and diagnosis process with you. The Helpline is open Monday to Thursday 10am – 4pm and Friday 9am – 3pm on 0808 800 4104.  Please see the following link for further information: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/contact.aspx.

I hope that is of some help.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

Children
No Data