Hello from a mother to recently diagnosed ASD 10 year old

Hello,

I have just joined this community, my 10 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with ASD after years of wondering if it's just inadequate parenting, psychopathy or autism related. Life is really hard and seems to be getting harder but I'm still going and hoping to maybe be able to help others and get support myself.

Thank you for reading

Parents
  • Hi. My daughter is 10 next month and was diagnosed with ASD a month ago. Things are very hard for us too and I also feel like it's getting harder since the diagnosis but I think maybe it's a lot to do with me having trouble coming to terms with it?! I didn't think it would be so hard as I was expecting the diagnosis but I'm feeling absolutely devastated and confused with a lot of different emotions.

• Hi. Agree with the confusion. Our son (9yrs) was diagnosed just before his 9th birthday. We'd been aware of something since nursery, but took a long time to get through most people's view of "he's just young". 

By the time diagnosis arrived we were expecting it. It seems to have been harder since. We wondered if it was us relaxing a little more, realising he didn't mean some of the things he was doing, that has inadvertently allowed certain behaviour to get worse.

Also the change in pressure from trying to understand what was different, to now trying to find support ... knowing we're in it for the long haul.

For what it's worth, you're not alone.

• Hi. Agree with the confusion. Our son (9yrs) was diagnosed just before his 9th birthday. We'd been aware of something since nursery, but took a long time to get through most people's view of "he's just young". 

By the time diagnosis arrived we were expecting it. It seems to have been harder since. We wondered if it was us relaxing a little more, realising he didn't mean some of the things he was doing, that has inadvertently allowed certain behaviour to get worse.

Also the change in pressure from trying to understand what was different, to now trying to find support ... knowing we're in it for the long haul.

For what it's worth, you're not alone.

Children
No Data