Just been diagnosed at 70 years old

I have just been diagnosed with high performing Asperger's Syndrome now called just ASD . I have led a Hellish life of being bullied harassment being ripped off for thousands of pounds of money no personal relationships . This and having Prostate Cancer led to Poor Mental Health with Anxiety and Depression . It was at a Mental health Assessment that the assessor said i probably had Asperger's Syndrome that was Christmas 2015 and it took till march 2017 to get an appointment with a psychiatrist and OT for 2 hour assessment . . I am still waiting for the final report before i can go to the Council for a Care Plan . The CCG only commission a few adult autism diagnosis sessions each year and no support after diagnosis . I am a service User Governor at the local mental health trust and waited 15 months for a diagnosis . Just my story a lot of pain and no support . Oh well i do what i can but not much about for Old age pensioner Adults with Autism 

Parents
  • Gus, if you have the energy meet with your local MP and tell your story and why adult diagnosis and support is cheaper than the alternative options which include a lifetime on DLA.

our CCG refused to fund meds for my friend who went private for an ADHD diagnosis because he had chosen to access private services so could afford it (Ha! I learnt him the money and he went private because he was about to get fired and we needed an answer about his behavior). Our MP was very useful, especially when 3 months after saying yes, they still hadn't contacted his GP authorising him to get meds.

As for age, I've found a bit in the international literature and one important reason for a diagnosis is if you end up in any form of residential care having a diagnosis means someone can advocate for you if they assume your behaviour is "dementia based" rather than your normal! My Dad is 80 and I'm on the look out for research near where he lives on ASD, to see if I can convince him to seek a diagnosis. It seems late but I do think he would find benefit in understanding a lifetime of challenges. He self medicates with alcohol and is totally under medicated for depression...so he's not a happy person. But he's hugely resistant to change and does guilt better than most - he thinks because he messed up with his second wife he has to put up with abuse from her.

Anyhow, I wanted to say that I admire you for going for a diagnosis at this stage and hope you find some benefits

• Gus, if you have the energy meet with your local MP and tell your story and why adult diagnosis and support is cheaper than the alternative options which include a lifetime on DLA.

our CCG refused to fund meds for my friend who went private for an ADHD diagnosis because he had chosen to access private services so could afford it (Ha! I learnt him the money and he went private because he was about to get fired and we needed an answer about his behavior). Our MP was very useful, especially when 3 months after saying yes, they still hadn't contacted his GP authorising him to get meds.

As for age, I've found a bit in the international literature and one important reason for a diagnosis is if you end up in any form of residential care having a diagnosis means someone can advocate for you if they assume your behaviour is "dementia based" rather than your normal! My Dad is 80 and I'm on the look out for research near where he lives on ASD, to see if I can convince him to seek a diagnosis. It seems late but I do think he would find benefit in understanding a lifetime of challenges. He self medicates with alcohol and is totally under medicated for depression...so he's not a happy person. But he's hugely resistant to change and does guilt better than most - he thinks because he messed up with his second wife he has to put up with abuse from her.

Anyhow, I wanted to say that I admire you for going for a diagnosis at this stage and hope you find some benefits

Children
No Data