Puberty

Hello everyone

I am new to the site and this shows by the fact that I posted my introduction and quest for help under someone else's post!! Please see under Hello I,'my Joel...... for the text so I do not have to retype it please. Thank you

SOOOZIE

• Hi there, thank you for this advice. It is an excellent idea. I have done the comic thing before when he had OCD with towels, his bedding and touching things. We had such a laugh together and now he doesn't do it anymore. 

We have also done role reversal where I am him and he is me when trying to get him out of bed in the morning.

I think you are right that constant 'nagging' from me is causing him to switch off and not listen so I need to switch in around into a more constructive model.

Sometimes you just need reminding of how to deal with things. Thank you 

SOOOZIE

• Thank you for helping with that one.

• One of the difficulties with saying "No" is that it gets heard and processed more as "Know" - whilst the tone and pitch of voice may provide a functional 'stop what you are doing' emphasis, this only works temporarily - and hence preadolescent and adolescent rebellions.

Consider instead perhaps reducing the obstructive intervention process, and increasing redirective facilitation. Consider also that practical demonstrations are far easy to make sense of than what often equates as 'blar, blar, blar' instructions.

Being good humoured, even comedic, can also be productive. You might for instance ask you son to watch you pretending to wake up in the morning, rubbing one's eyes and going outside and shutting the door - with as many positive/comedic gestures as you can reasonably get in like thumbs or double thums up with beaming enthusiasm.

With the toileting issues you could demonstrate what he actually does in one area by pretending to be upset - wiping tears from ones eye and shaking the head. Whereas for the time being - allow the toilettting in the garden, and redirect from there. With summer coming, you should it seems have less of problem in the house.

Of course - you must find what works for you and your son, but remember redirection can often be more productive than obstruction (threats and sanctions) in many cases of autism.

• Sorry, don't think I have any useful suggestion on how to deal with your son's behaviour but regarding the need to retype there's a very easy solution. You just select the text you have typed already (left mousekey down and hovering over the text so it turns white with a blue background, then let the mousekey go when all the relevant text is marked, then (with the mouse arrow somewhere in the marked text) click the right mousekey and select Copy from the menu popping up. Then you go where you want to post it, click in the field so you could start typing and press the Ctrl key and the letter V on the keyboard at the same time, that will paste your text into the text field. Sorry if you actually knew most of this and only not the very last step, I just thought I describe it all so it will definitely work for you. Not sure why right mouseclick --> paste doesn't work but it doesn't (as you may have noticed). Ctrl + V usually works, even if right mouseclick --> paste isn't available (somewhere else, I mean).