Puberty

Hello everyone

I am new to the site and this shows by the fact that I posted my introduction and quest for help under someone else's post!! Please see under Hello I,'my Joel...... for the text so I do not have to retype it please. Thank you

SOOOZIE

Parents
  • One of the difficulties with saying "No" is that it gets heard and processed more as "Know" - whilst the tone and pitch of voice may provide a functional 'stop what you are doing' emphasis, this only works temporarily - and hence preadolescent and adolescent rebellions.

Consider instead perhaps reducing the obstructive intervention process, and increasing redirective facilitation. Consider also that practical demonstrations are far easy to make sense of than what often equates as 'blar, blar, blar' instructions.

Being good humoured, even comedic, can also be productive. You might for instance ask you son to watch you pretending to wake up in the morning, rubbing one's eyes and going outside and shutting the door - with as many positive/comedic gestures as you can reasonably get in like thumbs or double thums up with beaming enthusiasm.

With the toileting issues you could demonstrate what he actually does in one area by pretending to be upset - wiping tears from ones eye and shaking the head. Whereas for the time being - allow the toilettting in the garden, and redirect from there. With summer coming, you should it seems have less of problem in the house.

Of course - you must find what works for you and your son, but remember redirection can often be more productive than obstruction (threats and sanctions) in many cases of autism.

• One of the difficulties with saying "No" is that it gets heard and processed more as "Know" - whilst the tone and pitch of voice may provide a functional 'stop what you are doing' emphasis, this only works temporarily - and hence preadolescent and adolescent rebellions.

Consider instead perhaps reducing the obstructive intervention process, and increasing redirective facilitation. Consider also that practical demonstrations are far easy to make sense of than what often equates as 'blar, blar, blar' instructions.

Being good humoured, even comedic, can also be productive. You might for instance ask you son to watch you pretending to wake up in the morning, rubbing one's eyes and going outside and shutting the door - with as many positive/comedic gestures as you can reasonably get in like thumbs or double thums up with beaming enthusiasm.

With the toileting issues you could demonstrate what he actually does in one area by pretending to be upset - wiping tears from ones eye and shaking the head. Whereas for the time being - allow the toilettting in the garden, and redirect from there. With summer coming, you should it seems have less of problem in the house.

Of course - you must find what works for you and your son, but remember redirection can often be more productive than obstruction (threats and sanctions) in many cases of autism.

Children
No Data