Hi - I'm new!

Hi everyone,

I'm new on here.  My son is 5 and has been diagnosed as being on the ASD pathway (old terminology = Aspergers), and potentially ADHD.  Awaiting further tests and blood tests as he has high blood pressure too and is apparently a complex profile...I'm new to all of this so feel completely overwhelmed by it all.

He is not coping at school, and it feels as though things are getting worse. 

I'm hoping that we can find ways to help him, as none of the strategies work consistently and I honestly don't know what to do next.

This is already such a tough journey, and a diagnosis only confirms what you thought might be the case - it would be good to know the next steps and how to help him...and get the support for us as parents too...feel a bit lost with it all so any help/advise will be appreciated as I get posting questions!:)

Thanks for reading.

R

• Hi,

My daughter struggles going into school and doing her school work, as she like to tell me she can't do it. There has been many mornings where she has got dressed in her favourit dress (which is purple and when I ask her to get ready for school she will scream), but over the last year I have just taken a step back, instead of as both getting upset then making her older brother late for school. I just let her go to school in the choosen dress and roll her uniform up in her school bag and I will help her get changed at school in the adult toliets but when she is ready. 

I have started taking my daughter to school just before the class room door closes, so all the children in the class have already settled down and it not that busy when we are walking around to class and the teacher is ready to welcome her in.

I'm not sure if this will help your son, but it may be worth you talking to your senco and/or the class teacher of different ways to help your son at school.

We are under CAMHS at the moment, this journey for us is hard, especially when you are having to analyse your child's weaknesses in fornt of them.

All the best and try and find time for yourself,

N