Devastated by my daughter's diagnosis

Hello, I'm new to the forum...I've just got nowhere else to turn. My 9-year-old daughter was diagnosed on Tuesday by CAMHS. To say that I am devastated is an understatement. I feel embarrassed. I have tried over the years to encourage her to go to parties and be social, to take pride in her appearance and play nicely, but she crumbles in social situations, which has been very difficult for us as a family. I do not want her to be an autistic person. I just want my daughter to be like other children...the thought that she is different makes me shudder.

I'm sorry; I was planning to say far more but I just can't.

When you plan a baby this isn't what you expect, is it?

Parents
  • madam, yet again, in the politest possible terms, i hate to break this to you but you will find life very difficult if you do not a) have a reality check b) set aside your pre-concieved narrow guage mind-set. 

your daughter will not 'grow out of her problems'. this is an utterly false mindset, and a damaging one both psychologically in terms of expectations for your daughter, and emotionally. your social expectations are misguided in the extreme. your attitudes, social and philosophical, are borderline abusive or have the potential for abuse. long term your daughter will suffer emotionally, and psychologically from the expectations you impose upon her. 

autism is not a problem. it is a gift. if you perpetuate this thinking you will meet more than your fair share of people who will not only challenge you, but also you will find you are told quite frankly, that you are wrong.

• madam, yet again, in the politest possible terms, i hate to break this to you but you will find life very difficult if you do not a) have a reality check b) set aside your pre-concieved narrow guage mind-set. 

your daughter will not 'grow out of her problems'. this is an utterly false mindset, and a damaging one both psychologically in terms of expectations for your daughter, and emotionally. your social expectations are misguided in the extreme. your attitudes, social and philosophical, are borderline abusive or have the potential for abuse. long term your daughter will suffer emotionally, and psychologically from the expectations you impose upon her. 

autism is not a problem. it is a gift. if you perpetuate this thinking you will meet more than your fair share of people who will not only challenge you, but also you will find you are told quite frankly, that you are wrong.

Children
No Data