Recent Diagnosis, A little bit scared?

Hi, I'm Charlie.

I went for a private diagnosis yesterday 4/4/17 at the age of 24. My whole family and partner of 5 years attended and we spoke with a consultant and doctor for around 4 hours! 

I have to admit, it was my mother who suggested I might be autistic but I always shrugged it off because I felt like I was nothing like autistic people that I had seen through media or social gathering. The majority of people I had seen were male and I genuinely had no idea that it shows in women differently. So when I sat down i was very sceptical but I kept an open mind.

In the end I think we all had our ideas about what autism is broadened by what we were told and a lot of the things I considered to be completely "normal" were actually pretty different compared to the rest of my family, such as thought patterns and reactions to various sensual stimuli. 

It seems that a lot of my difficulties make so much more sense to me now and my family seem to realise that a lot of things I did in my past especially dring childhood is far more explainable with this diagnosis. 

Im not really sure what else to say or if writing all this out is of any help or use to anyone? I do not feel that I look or act Autistic (In a non-offensive way) So I am also pretty scared that people who have initially the same experiances as I used to think from lack of knowledge will not believe me.

Please feel free to give me a bit of advice or comfort. I really feel strange.

Parents
  • Hi Charlie,

You sound like your in shock.  You are still the same person just that now, you have some explanation as to why you behave in a way that is different in some situations then the expected norm.

So good that you have support from family & your partner.

This site has lots of info on Autistic behaviour.  

I found it helpful to read when getting a diagnosis for my Son.  

You will then be able to think about how it effects

you to a greater or lesser degree. On a daily basis.

I also was diagnosed Atypical Autistic at 30 some thing. Many people live a long time being unsure why they struggle with or act differently from the crowd.

Confusion will pass. We all should try to love our authentic inner person. 

Autisim has always been there. Your a person first before the diagnosis.  

I would be cautious as to who you tell because of some stereotypes. Some people feel asd must mean low IQ.

Then they do the dum down voice. Lol. By then you may switch your brain off purposefully out of bordom for their silly assumptions.

Other then that live your life as fully as possible.

Hope this helps.

Starstruck

• Hi Charlie,

You sound like your in shock.  You are still the same person just that now, you have some explanation as to why you behave in a way that is different in some situations then the expected norm.

So good that you have support from family & your partner.

This site has lots of info on Autistic behaviour.  

I found it helpful to read when getting a diagnosis for my Son.  

You will then be able to think about how it effects

you to a greater or lesser degree. On a daily basis.

I also was diagnosed Atypical Autistic at 30 some thing. Many people live a long time being unsure why they struggle with or act differently from the crowd.

Confusion will pass. We all should try to love our authentic inner person. 

Autisim has always been there. Your a person first before the diagnosis.  

I would be cautious as to who you tell because of some stereotypes. Some people feel asd must mean low IQ.

Then they do the dum down voice. Lol. By then you may switch your brain off purposefully out of bordom for their silly assumptions.

Other then that live your life as fully as possible.

Hope this helps.

Starstruck

Children
No Data