teenage girls and autism

Good evening My name is debbie I have 16 yr old daughter who has been declining since she turned 13 years old. We have been under Camhs for the last year without much progress. It has come to light with sessions my daughter has with a mutual friend who is a Senco that he feels she is autistic. We met and the more questions I answered the more he is convinced. I would like to know what the diagnosis process will be with camhs? They have been so far unhelpful and have never really looked into my daughter and her issues and just gave her medication which hasn't helped at all. I am worried that they will not listen to me when I ask them to test her? At present she is in a PRU as her secondary school felt it wasn't a safe environment for her. The PRU is like a prison and are totally ignoring me at present. With GCSE exams fast approaching and her being so far behind I am pretty desperate for advice. Has anyone else been through this before?

Parents
  • have not been through what you/your daughter are going through, but am autistic. as such, i hope i can offer you this: i believe that you require some form of independent advocacy that will do two things: 1. act independently for you and your daughter and in your daughter's best interests. 

therefore: this link: autismeducationtrust.org.uk/good-practice/written%20for%20you/children-and-young-people/yp%20advocacy.aspx - as they also have Senco, and from what you have written, the Senco seems to be 'on your side', therefore a good place to start.

if no-one is listening, at Cahms, then they need to. advocacy may help lay the ground for you/your daughter's rights, and also help shift things along the correct channels with cahms. people sit up and listen when 'rights' are involved.

equipping yourself with all the information, the correct information, is half the battle when dealing with any obstacle.

i very much hope that your daughter's well-being is achieved.

each process is different based on which local authority is involved. diagnosis for autism is not a national standard unfortunately.

• have not been through what you/your daughter are going through, but am autistic. as such, i hope i can offer you this: i believe that you require some form of independent advocacy that will do two things: 1. act independently for you and your daughter and in your daughter's best interests. 

therefore: this link: autismeducationtrust.org.uk/good-practice/written%20for%20you/children-and-young-people/yp%20advocacy.aspx - as they also have Senco, and from what you have written, the Senco seems to be 'on your side', therefore a good place to start.

if no-one is listening, at Cahms, then they need to. advocacy may help lay the ground for you/your daughter's rights, and also help shift things along the correct channels with cahms. people sit up and listen when 'rights' are involved.

equipping yourself with all the information, the correct information, is half the battle when dealing with any obstacle.

i very much hope that your daughter's well-being is achieved.

each process is different based on which local authority is involved. diagnosis for autism is not a national standard unfortunately.

Children
No Data