Autistic culture?

Hi all, I'm a Music Therapist working for the NHS and am Chief Editor of a book called "A Spectrum of Approaches: Music Therapy and Autism Across the Lifespan." I'm writing a chapter on the idea of seeing autism in cultural terms, not just diagnostic and would love contributions from people on the spectrum and their families and carers. Is there such as thing as "autistic culture" as separate from "neurotypical"? How is this manifest in terms of self-identity, the arts, and fitting in with others. If anyone would like to make some comments here, or get in touch with me via [email address removed by moderator] If possible, I'd love to include some comments in my chapter.

Many thanks,

Henry

Please note email address removed by moderator as no personal contact details are allowed on the forum.  Many thanks, Heather - Mod

Parents
  • you're welcome. 

also, check this thread op'd by Arran community.autism.org.uk/discussions/general-discussions/general-chat/asd-people-foreign-backgrounds <--- as discussion explores much about 'culture' and autism (see Japanese culture) in a broader context. Deepthought and others discuss the historical evidence towards autism. as usual, DP is the 'Bertrand Russell' and checks all logic. glad they weighed in on this one.

one note: re: definitions - need to check whether you are subsituting 'role' for 'mask'. role = NT thinking/interpretation of purpose and contribution to society and culture. mask = autistic thinking/behaviour used and employed to navigate society and culture. <--DP will need to 'Bertrand Russel' my logic on this one.

additional note: re: self-realisation - you may notice from contributors and reading more widely (though selectively, see topics first to narrow your research) on this site that many autistics are self-educated, self-taught, self-directed in their /personal journies of discovery aka realisation. i propose therefore that realisation of the self, when considered in terms of the autistic /being/, is innate. the question which arises therefore is how? proposal: like nature, it is slow, but it will find a way; it - being realisation - is inevitable for the autistic person. there is also evidence on this site that many autistics are, although living quite separate and often isolated existences, they are all following, coming and reaching the same conclusions/points of self-realisation. proposition: is self-realisation in fact some 'other' self-organisation, a gestalt if you will. see: Asimov's 'ghost in the machine' (dp would have to weigh in on this proposition if appropriate to check my logic)

• you're welcome. 

also, check this thread op'd by Arran community.autism.org.uk/discussions/general-discussions/general-chat/asd-people-foreign-backgrounds <--- as discussion explores much about 'culture' and autism (see Japanese culture) in a broader context. Deepthought and others discuss the historical evidence towards autism. as usual, DP is the 'Bertrand Russell' and checks all logic. glad they weighed in on this one.

one note: re: definitions - need to check whether you are subsituting 'role' for 'mask'. role = NT thinking/interpretation of purpose and contribution to society and culture. mask = autistic thinking/behaviour used and employed to navigate society and culture. <--DP will need to 'Bertrand Russel' my logic on this one.

additional note: re: self-realisation - you may notice from contributors and reading more widely (though selectively, see topics first to narrow your research) on this site that many autistics are self-educated, self-taught, self-directed in their /personal journies of discovery aka realisation. i propose therefore that realisation of the self, when considered in terms of the autistic /being/, is innate. the question which arises therefore is how? proposal: like nature, it is slow, but it will find a way; it - being realisation - is inevitable for the autistic person. there is also evidence on this site that many autistics are, although living quite separate and often isolated existences, they are all following, coming and reaching the same conclusions/points of self-realisation. proposition: is self-realisation in fact some 'other' self-organisation, a gestalt if you will. see: Asimov's 'ghost in the machine' (dp would have to weigh in on this proposition if appropriate to check my logic)

Children
No Data