Autistic culture?

Hi all, I'm a Music Therapist working for the NHS and am Chief Editor of a book called "A Spectrum of Approaches: Music Therapy and Autism Across the Lifespan." I'm writing a chapter on the idea of seeing autism in cultural terms, not just diagnostic and would love contributions from people on the spectrum and their families and carers. Is there such as thing as "autistic culture" as separate from "neurotypical"? How is this manifest in terms of self-identity, the arts, and fitting in with others. If anyone would like to make some comments here, or get in touch with me via [email address removed by moderator] If possible, I'd love to include some comments in my chapter.

Many thanks,

Henry

Please note email address removed by moderator as no personal contact details are allowed on the forum.  Many thanks, Heather - Mod

Parents
  • Music Therapist said:

Hi all, I'm a Music Therapist working for the NHS and am Chief Editor of a book called "A Spectrum of Aprroaches: Music Therapy and Autism Across the Lifespan." I'm writing a chapter on the idea of seeing autism in cultural terms, not just disgnostic and would love contributions from people on the spectrum and their families and carers. Is there such as thing as "autistic culture" as separate from "neurotypical"? How is this manifest in terms of self-identity, the arts, and fitting in with others. If anyone would like to make some comments here, or get in touch with me via jazzmanhenry@hotmail.co.uk. If possible, I'd love to include some comments in my chapter.

Many thanks,

Henry

There is a book entitled, NeuroTribes; The Legacy of Autism and How to Think Smarter About People Who Think Differently, and is priced at about £18 ish, or as much as it costs, by Steve Silberman and Oliver Sacks. Thanks for reminding me about it as I have read some of it, but  unfortunately due to siezures forgot to get the whole of it from the book shop. I really enjoyed what I had read of it. So thanks again - very much appreciated.

In my more crash and burn socially experimental days I used to wonder off for increasing periods of time, and just avoid everyone and everything when and where possible. I went about helping people who wanted help with odd jobs and who would give me food or money for food in exchange, and even a place to sleep.

Met people like myself with neurodivergent minds, and we would talk about how to get on with things and make the world a better place - how to understand the nature of human depravity and barbarism and do something about it without adding to it. Many of us were doing co-morbidity to extents and degrees that most psychologists could not or would not believe, and there were nine of us who died in as many months on account of which.

Being abused was generally OK back then unless you reported it and got yourself more abused as a result.

We all made a consolidatory oath that if any one of us actually decided to do a suicidal one - everyone else had the right to convince them out of it. We were all very well self educated in comparative religious, philospohical and mystical initiation systems - and scientific and magic and all that. Essentially we all socially exploited performers who could do one thing really really well until it had gotten really really boring, or far far too strange.

One thing we were all quite passionate about was being zombie, warewolf and vampire or combination types - with zombie types just groaning and moaning all the time but carrying on no matter what stayed in the way; whilst wearwolf types went all periodically or at will 'fury-of-furies animalistic and nothing no matter what got in the way, and the vampire type that lived at night or also day and could persuade the passion for life out of people no matter how much agreement or disagreement might be offered.

We were all wierdos and odd ones out of all sorts, but we were not as odd as the odder ones in - socially speaking as far as we were concerned; being that we all knew that everyone and everything is different and that was what in all actuality was normal - rather than being abnormally similar.

• Music Therapist said:

Hi all, I'm a Music Therapist working for the NHS and am Chief Editor of a book called "A Spectrum of Aprroaches: Music Therapy and Autism Across the Lifespan." I'm writing a chapter on the idea of seeing autism in cultural terms, not just disgnostic and would love contributions from people on the spectrum and their families and carers. Is there such as thing as "autistic culture" as separate from "neurotypical"? How is this manifest in terms of self-identity, the arts, and fitting in with others. If anyone would like to make some comments here, or get in touch with me via jazzmanhenry@hotmail.co.uk. If possible, I'd love to include some comments in my chapter.

Many thanks,

Henry

There is a book entitled, NeuroTribes; The Legacy of Autism and How to Think Smarter About People Who Think Differently, and is priced at about £18 ish, or as much as it costs, by Steve Silberman and Oliver Sacks. Thanks for reminding me about it as I have read some of it, but  unfortunately due to siezures forgot to get the whole of it from the book shop. I really enjoyed what I had read of it. So thanks again - very much appreciated.

In my more crash and burn socially experimental days I used to wonder off for increasing periods of time, and just avoid everyone and everything when and where possible. I went about helping people who wanted help with odd jobs and who would give me food or money for food in exchange, and even a place to sleep.

Met people like myself with neurodivergent minds, and we would talk about how to get on with things and make the world a better place - how to understand the nature of human depravity and barbarism and do something about it without adding to it. Many of us were doing co-morbidity to extents and degrees that most psychologists could not or would not believe, and there were nine of us who died in as many months on account of which.

Being abused was generally OK back then unless you reported it and got yourself more abused as a result.

We all made a consolidatory oath that if any one of us actually decided to do a suicidal one - everyone else had the right to convince them out of it. We were all very well self educated in comparative religious, philospohical and mystical initiation systems - and scientific and magic and all that. Essentially we all socially exploited performers who could do one thing really really well until it had gotten really really boring, or far far too strange.

One thing we were all quite passionate about was being zombie, warewolf and vampire or combination types - with zombie types just groaning and moaning all the time but carrying on no matter what stayed in the way; whilst wearwolf types went all periodically or at will 'fury-of-furies animalistic and nothing no matter what got in the way, and the vampire type that lived at night or also day and could persuade the passion for life out of people no matter how much agreement or disagreement might be offered.

We were all wierdos and odd ones out of all sorts, but we were not as odd as the odder ones in - socially speaking as far as we were concerned; being that we all knew that everyone and everything is different and that was what in all actuality was normal - rather than being abnormally similar.

Children
No Data