Autistic culture?

Hi all, I'm a Music Therapist working for the NHS and am Chief Editor of a book called "A Spectrum of Approaches: Music Therapy and Autism Across the Lifespan." I'm writing a chapter on the idea of seeing autism in cultural terms, not just diagnostic and would love contributions from people on the spectrum and their families and carers. Is there such as thing as "autistic culture" as separate from "neurotypical"? How is this manifest in terms of self-identity, the arts, and fitting in with others. If anyone would like to make some comments here, or get in touch with me via [email address removed by moderator] If possible, I'd love to include some comments in my chapter.

Many thanks,

Henry

Please note email address removed by moderator as no personal contact details are allowed on the forum.  Many thanks, Heather - Mod

Parents
  • Firstly --> disgnostic <--? I presume you mean diagnostic.

Q: Is there such a thing as "autistic culture" as separate from "neurotypical"

In what cultural frame? Global? Western? Regional? Personal?

In what timeframe? Historical? Present? Future? The last decade? Since the identification of autism and the naming of it?

As you can see the autistic mind immediately identifies variables and the lack of parameters for analysis.

Rule: one must ask the right question to get the right answer.

Therefore, what is the right question?

I will therefore /presume/ much, and keep to a /narrow guage/ in providing open opinion as follows:

Autism is antecedent, in and of its nature. It is on the outside looking in. It is not included, therefore it appears to exclude itself. It bears similarity to sub-culture. Sub-culture feeds mass culture. Examples: Mozart, Einstein, Tesla, Da Vinci, Van Gogh...It is a wide perspective, taking all information in, all experiences, sensory, and functions at a high level as a result.

How is this manifest in terms of self-identity, the arts, and fitting in with others.

Self-identity - as s/I is construct and only exists in context, then one must examine the context; context being a cumulative aggregate of signs, significations, imposed, implicit or explicit meaning - codes. All codes are intrinsically false, therefore lies. People like to lie. s/I is a lie.

Note: An autistic person masks. I would suggest there is no self-identity, as it is irrelevant, it serves no purpose other than as a means to encounter environment and interact with it - camouflage. The self, in being, merely is. This, I would suggest, is closer to the truth. Better to say: self-state - an unselfconscious presence of being without any requirement other than to be self. Being autistic, I personally look beyond or through surface of identity, even of other people.  I look past the lie. Instead, I seek connection, unselfconscious being - music can act as a bridge to this place. It is the daydream. It is the place you go when you daydream. It is Yves Klein blue.

Seeing autism in cultural terms, not just /disgnostic/

That would be a start. Autistics have contributed, much. And contribute much. The problem being, that autism, in and of itself, has no worth. Unless it can be commodified - a painting on the wall, a piece of music, a scientific discovery that becomes the destroyer of worlds - then it has no place in society, or rather, it remains on the outside, looking in. It does not fit, not because there is no place for it, but rather, because it is different, it is a different language, a different state of being, one of peace, one which is an antithesis of current Western cultural and societal constructs.

Yes, you have my permission to use any of the above information as quotes should you deem anything appropriate or relevant to your NT needs.

Also: I would recommend you read through some of the discussion pages on this site, you may find some interesting 'autistic culture' present - if you are able to identify it, that is.

• Firstly --> disgnostic <--? I presume you mean diagnostic.

Q: Is there such a thing as "autistic culture" as separate from "neurotypical"

In what cultural frame? Global? Western? Regional? Personal?

In what timeframe? Historical? Present? Future? The last decade? Since the identification of autism and the naming of it?

As you can see the autistic mind immediately identifies variables and the lack of parameters for analysis.

Rule: one must ask the right question to get the right answer.

Therefore, what is the right question?

I will therefore /presume/ much, and keep to a /narrow guage/ in providing open opinion as follows:

Autism is antecedent, in and of its nature. It is on the outside looking in. It is not included, therefore it appears to exclude itself. It bears similarity to sub-culture. Sub-culture feeds mass culture. Examples: Mozart, Einstein, Tesla, Da Vinci, Van Gogh...It is a wide perspective, taking all information in, all experiences, sensory, and functions at a high level as a result.

How is this manifest in terms of self-identity, the arts, and fitting in with others.

Self-identity - as s/I is construct and only exists in context, then one must examine the context; context being a cumulative aggregate of signs, significations, imposed, implicit or explicit meaning - codes. All codes are intrinsically false, therefore lies. People like to lie. s/I is a lie.

Note: An autistic person masks. I would suggest there is no self-identity, as it is irrelevant, it serves no purpose other than as a means to encounter environment and interact with it - camouflage. The self, in being, merely is. This, I would suggest, is closer to the truth. Better to say: self-state - an unselfconscious presence of being without any requirement other than to be self. Being autistic, I personally look beyond or through surface of identity, even of other people.  I look past the lie. Instead, I seek connection, unselfconscious being - music can act as a bridge to this place. It is the daydream. It is the place you go when you daydream. It is Yves Klein blue.

Seeing autism in cultural terms, not just /disgnostic/

That would be a start. Autistics have contributed, much. And contribute much. The problem being, that autism, in and of itself, has no worth. Unless it can be commodified - a painting on the wall, a piece of music, a scientific discovery that becomes the destroyer of worlds - then it has no place in society, or rather, it remains on the outside, looking in. It does not fit, not because there is no place for it, but rather, because it is different, it is a different language, a different state of being, one of peace, one which is an antithesis of current Western cultural and societal constructs.

Yes, you have my permission to use any of the above information as quotes should you deem anything appropriate or relevant to your NT needs.

Also: I would recommend you read through some of the discussion pages on this site, you may find some interesting 'autistic culture' present - if you are able to identify it, that is.

Children
No Data