Autistic culture?

Hi all, I'm a Music Therapist working for the NHS and am Chief Editor of a book called "A Spectrum of Approaches: Music Therapy and Autism Across the Lifespan." I'm writing a chapter on the idea of seeing autism in cultural terms, not just diagnostic and would love contributions from people on the spectrum and their families and carers. Is there such as thing as "autistic culture" as separate from "neurotypical"? How is this manifest in terms of self-identity, the arts, and fitting in with others. If anyone would like to make some comments here, or get in touch with me via [email address removed by moderator] If possible, I'd love to include some comments in my chapter.

Many thanks,

Henry

Please note email address removed by moderator as no personal contact details are allowed on the forum.  Many thanks, Heather - Mod

Parents
  • Dear @Moderator :   Sorry to post to the forum, but I cannot find an email address to contact you direct. This looks like an intersting piece or research ... why ban contact with the researcher / author?

Music Therapist is a protected designation - if the author was allowed to post his name it would be possible to chreck the HCPC register and establish that he is genuine ... anonymity is illogical. Anonymity means that anyone can pose as a  member of a registered profession with impunity - thus making this site LESS safe

Given the title of the book, I was able to get his name and institutional email in about two minutes using a search engine ...so the email ban is illogical.

How does one challenge the paternalistic attitude of the NAS that we are poor disabled people who need to be "protected" and need a moderator to make sure we can't use our real names and contact details to follow up posts in the real world?  Caveat lector ... let the reader beware.

Is there an email address where, as a NAS member, one can contact the trustees? As an NAS member I find this attitude paternalistic and offensive. As members who pay our subscription, do we get to have any say in policies like this, or does the NAS  hierarchy just want us to pay our subscriptions and be patronised?   The principle of the Mental Capacity Act is to treat individuals having capacity until established otherwise; the policy of this forum appears to treat everyone as "vulnerable" and incompetent ...

I would sign my name and give you my email address, but ... oh yes, it would breach the terms of service.

• Dear @Moderator :   Sorry to post to the forum, but I cannot find an email address to contact you direct. This looks like an intersting piece or research ... why ban contact with the researcher / author?

Music Therapist is a protected designation - if the author was allowed to post his name it would be possible to chreck the HCPC register and establish that he is genuine ... anonymity is illogical. Anonymity means that anyone can pose as a  member of a registered profession with impunity - thus making this site LESS safe

Given the title of the book, I was able to get his name and institutional email in about two minutes using a search engine ...so the email ban is illogical.

How does one challenge the paternalistic attitude of the NAS that we are poor disabled people who need to be "protected" and need a moderator to make sure we can't use our real names and contact details to follow up posts in the real world?  Caveat lector ... let the reader beware.

Is there an email address where, as a NAS member, one can contact the trustees? As an NAS member I find this attitude paternalistic and offensive. As members who pay our subscription, do we get to have any say in policies like this, or does the NAS  hierarchy just want us to pay our subscriptions and be patronised?   The principle of the Mental Capacity Act is to treat individuals having capacity until established otherwise; the policy of this forum appears to treat everyone as "vulnerable" and incompetent ...

I would sign my name and give you my email address, but ... oh yes, it would breach the terms of service.

Children
No Data