Newly diagnosed female 41

hi I'm vicky 41 just been diagnosed with ASD two days ago but have always known . I have four daughters and my 17 year old has ASD she was diagnosed when she was two. Bit scared and unsure at the moment living on my own with my nine month old youngest and hoping for friendship and some light at the end of the tunnel xxxxx

Parents
  • Hi Vicky

Although a male, I know what it feels like to be diagnosed later. (I am 62).  I was diagnosed only two months ago.

Like you, it was no real surprise, but that did not stop me having to come to terms with what might have been had I been diagnosed earlier.

The diagnosis does not alter who you are.  I think I have dropped my guard a bit since diagnosis, not so consciously trying to fit in with NT ways, but that is just me thinking why should I try to be something I am not.  The diagnosis proves to cynical NTs you are not some sort of hypochondriac, there are unfortunately a lot of people who will not accept self diagnosis despite it being blatantly obvioius that it is a strong possibility.

In one way, I am proud to be autistic.  I think in a certain way, am not easily swayed and can cope with being on my own.

The main thing that a diagnosis has done for me is to get support at work, to be able to have adjustments made.  What is debilitating for me is to be not understood when I say I cannot do something, to be put somewhere that is totally out of my comfort zone and to be put somewhere noisy and busy in an environment which has not been considered may be a problem for many people, not just autistic.  They are making these aspects a lot easier for me now.  In my autistic mind, I am not disabled, I think differently and it is society that disables me by the way and conventions of society.

There may be a local autism support group available to you. There is for me in the West Midlands who are providing the support I need at work.  But I am very comfortable with being autistic, and I hope you are too.  It is nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. 

Best wishes

• Hi Vicky

Although a male, I know what it feels like to be diagnosed later. (I am 62).  I was diagnosed only two months ago.

Like you, it was no real surprise, but that did not stop me having to come to terms with what might have been had I been diagnosed earlier.

The diagnosis does not alter who you are.  I think I have dropped my guard a bit since diagnosis, not so consciously trying to fit in with NT ways, but that is just me thinking why should I try to be something I am not.  The diagnosis proves to cynical NTs you are not some sort of hypochondriac, there are unfortunately a lot of people who will not accept self diagnosis despite it being blatantly obvioius that it is a strong possibility.

In one way, I am proud to be autistic.  I think in a certain way, am not easily swayed and can cope with being on my own.

The main thing that a diagnosis has done for me is to get support at work, to be able to have adjustments made.  What is debilitating for me is to be not understood when I say I cannot do something, to be put somewhere that is totally out of my comfort zone and to be put somewhere noisy and busy in an environment which has not been considered may be a problem for many people, not just autistic.  They are making these aspects a lot easier for me now.  In my autistic mind, I am not disabled, I think differently and it is society that disables me by the way and conventions of society.

There may be a local autism support group available to you. There is for me in the West Midlands who are providing the support I need at work.  But I am very comfortable with being autistic, and I hope you are too.  It is nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about. 

Best wishes

Children
No Data