New to all this

Hello!

As the subject line says I am new to all this.  My son was diagnosed with Aspergers at the beginning of December and it has taken me until now to be able to come on this website.  On the whole he is absolutely fine and gets on alright in his day to day life, but I am always looking now for new ideas of dealing with what I call his "melt downs".  Any advice or tips  will be gratefully accepted.  Many thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Hi Pixie31

I have Aspergers. Many many years undiagnosed until a couple of years ago. In my experience meltdowns can occur for a whole variety of reasons and they are not always the same. So, it would be a good idea to identify what triggers a meltdown. In general I would say it is a bad idea to fight them. They happen and it's best to let them ride the course if they are fairly mild. Best to stand back than confront.

It takes a long time to get rid of the energy that can build up over time or in just seconds. In me they can occur because something doesn't happen the way it should and I become anxious and irritable. The worst and rapid meltowns occur when I am stopped from progressing with an idea or something I want to do by an irrational person, an angry one that cannot or will not see my side, who brings in obscure or irrelevant contentions. Best to let me alone for many days to get it out of my system and not raise it exactly the same way if the topic still needs to be adressed. That simply resumes where we left off and another period for recovery.

I'd love to hear what others have to say about meltdowns and how people get over them.

• Hi Pixie31

I have Aspergers. Many many years undiagnosed until a couple of years ago. In my experience meltdowns can occur for a whole variety of reasons and they are not always the same. So, it would be a good idea to identify what triggers a meltdown. In general I would say it is a bad idea to fight them. They happen and it's best to let them ride the course if they are fairly mild. Best to stand back than confront.

It takes a long time to get rid of the energy that can build up over time or in just seconds. In me they can occur because something doesn't happen the way it should and I become anxious and irritable. The worst and rapid meltowns occur when I am stopped from progressing with an idea or something I want to do by an irrational person, an angry one that cannot or will not see my side, who brings in obscure or irrelevant contentions. Best to let me alone for many days to get it out of my system and not raise it exactly the same way if the topic still needs to be adressed. That simply resumes where we left off and another period for recovery.

I'd love to hear what others have to say about meltdowns and how people get over them.

Children
No Data