Hello + asking for advice

Hello,

My name is Silvia, I live in the UK (but I come from Eastern Europe), am 23 years old and just been told I have Asperger's by my therapist.

I would like to ask you for any advice regarding having just been diagnosed and solving the dilemma of whether to tell people, colleagues, friends or not. Has it ever made you more vulnerable/exposed and what are the advantages of doing so?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best,

Silvia

Parents
  • Hello Silvia

I was diagnosed with AS about 2 years ago . I told my manager immediately because I needed reasonable adjustments at work. It took me a year to feel comfortable announcing to my colleagues. My closest people were told quickly, but it hasn't really mattered to them. They accept me for being the person they grew to like. They don't see AS in me despite my constant reminders, but they support me immensely.

I have taken an opportunity to explain to a wider audience what it is like to be autistic (i.e. me) and I was overwhelmed by the wonderfully postive feedback and comments I received from people I never knew. I did have doubts about exposing myself before, but I'm glad I did. Nothing bad has happened and I feel that the people I do know are either no different or friendlier (more common) than before.

As I am becoming more self conscious I do feel I am vulnerable. That's because I don't think enough people understand or want to. It does make for some laughter though when I'm on a completely different wavelength to my friends and we both realise it's AS revealing itself.

Take your time to decide who and when you wish to tell. When it feels right it probably will be.

I hope my words help you a bit.

• Hello Silvia

I was diagnosed with AS about 2 years ago . I told my manager immediately because I needed reasonable adjustments at work. It took me a year to feel comfortable announcing to my colleagues. My closest people were told quickly, but it hasn't really mattered to them. They accept me for being the person they grew to like. They don't see AS in me despite my constant reminders, but they support me immensely.

I have taken an opportunity to explain to a wider audience what it is like to be autistic (i.e. me) and I was overwhelmed by the wonderfully postive feedback and comments I received from people I never knew. I did have doubts about exposing myself before, but I'm glad I did. Nothing bad has happened and I feel that the people I do know are either no different or friendlier (more common) than before.

As I am becoming more self conscious I do feel I am vulnerable. That's because I don't think enough people understand or want to. It does make for some laughter though when I'm on a completely different wavelength to my friends and we both realise it's AS revealing itself.

Take your time to decide who and when you wish to tell. When it feels right it probably will be.

I hope my words help you a bit.

Children
No Data