Hi, I was referred to a Gender Identity Clinc and during the session I answered lots of questions about sensitivities to light, sound, the feel of certain fabrics etc. It transpired the therapist was trained in the field of Autism and Aspergers. He's recommended my GP refer me on for an assessment.

My question: Is it more common for people on the spectrum to have issues with their gender?

Thanks

Parents
  • I understand there's apparently a higher proportion of transsexual (or transgender in general) people with ASD than in the general population, though I don't recall where I heard it offhand.  I'm both, for the record: both were apparent from a fairly young age but also buried for years too, so I was over 40 before they were formally diagnosed.  Better late than never, I suppose.

I occasionally hear people suggesting that patients (or their carers) should take an either/or approach to dealing with them based on the assumption that one may explain the symptoms of the other, although personally I don't agree and don't think that deferring investigation and treatment is a particularly good idea.  Delaying either wouldn't have been helpful to me, although delaying both was certainly most unhelpful of all.

• I understand there's apparently a higher proportion of transsexual (or transgender in general) people with ASD than in the general population, though I don't recall where I heard it offhand.  I'm both, for the record: both were apparent from a fairly young age but also buried for years too, so I was over 40 before they were formally diagnosed.  Better late than never, I suppose.

I occasionally hear people suggesting that patients (or their carers) should take an either/or approach to dealing with them based on the assumption that one may explain the symptoms of the other, although personally I don't agree and don't think that deferring investigation and treatment is a particularly good idea.  Delaying either wouldn't have been helpful to me, although delaying both was certainly most unhelpful of all.

Children
No Data