New and unsure

hi everyone

i have joined the community as there is a strong possibility my little boy (4yrs old) has ASD. It's really early days - school have been having problems with his behaviour in the classroom. I'm feeling pretty stupid as I haven't noticed. I'm a health visitor and to me my son has just always been the way he is - never a problem.I think I've adapted how I am with him (compared to my older son) because I'm familiar with behaviour strategies but I think I've inadvertently been masking symptoms. I've had family who have said the same as school. And now when I piece all his little quirks together, it hits me in the face. The school SENCO is observing him next week. Should I be taking him to GP too or will things happen from school? I'm totally confused.

Parents
  • When we were involved with SALT; we found them, largely, useless. They are unable to pass judgement on whether your son might or might not be autistic so hopefully they didn't. As far as feeling a fool; you shouldn't in my opinion. You should celebrate that you see your son as what he is: unique and with specific needs but, ultimately, still a person. Oten you see comments from parents that focus on the negative connations of ASD and ignore the positives, often seeing the positives can take time. That you are already doing that should be celabrated. Certainly don't see yourself as a fool - so little is know about ASD outside of forums like this that in many ways - unless you already knew what 'signs' to look for and were somehow aware already that you should be looking for them you will only ever be starting from a position of playing 'catch-up'. In short don't be hard on your self and don't let 'the professionals' involved tell you there is nothing to worry about because the only person who kows your son well enough to really know is you... 

• When we were involved with SALT; we found them, largely, useless. They are unable to pass judgement on whether your son might or might not be autistic so hopefully they didn't. As far as feeling a fool; you shouldn't in my opinion. You should celebrate that you see your son as what he is: unique and with specific needs but, ultimately, still a person. Oten you see comments from parents that focus on the negative connations of ASD and ignore the positives, often seeing the positives can take time. That you are already doing that should be celabrated. Certainly don't see yourself as a fool - so little is know about ASD outside of forums like this that in many ways - unless you already knew what 'signs' to look for and were somehow aware already that you should be looking for them you will only ever be starting from a position of playing 'catch-up'. In short don't be hard on your self and don't let 'the professionals' involved tell you there is nothing to worry about because the only person who kows your son well enough to really know is you... 

Children
No Data