I have Sensory Processing Disorder

My name is Emily, I’m 22 and I have Sensory Processing Disorder also know and referred to as SPD. I write a blog called www.21andsensory.wordpress.com (started the blog when I was 21!) which aims to bring people everywhere together to discuss their sensory problems and how they cope with their everyday lives. I want it to be recognised that sensory problems aren’t something children necessarily grow out of but learn to deal with for the rest of their lives. 

A bit more about me and my background: I also have anxiety issues, mild OCD, hyperhydrosis and severe dyslexia (I was only assessed and told I was dyslexic when I was 19!). An occupational therapist diagnosed me with SPD when I was in primary school (I think I  was around aged 8). I’ve tried lots of different therapies such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and therapy sessions with CAHMS (child and adolescent mental health service, NHS, UK) however I found these unhelpful and these made me feel worse.  I have found Occupational Therapy (OT) the most helpful form of therapy.

Parents
  • Sorry to hear that 21andsensory.

I find posting hear regularly does help because it not only allows you to get your problems out in the open (so to speak) but also makes you aware of what problems other people have.

There are a lot of very wise here people who can share your problems and give good advice, so please don't be a stranger.

• Sorry to hear that 21andsensory.

I find posting hear regularly does help because it not only allows you to get your problems out in the open (so to speak) but also makes you aware of what problems other people have.

There are a lot of very wise here people who can share your problems and give good advice, so please don't be a stranger.

Children
No Data