Clothing Issues

Hi,

I have just joined and am wanting to chat with other parents of an older child with Aspergers/ADHD, my son is currently 11 years old, who is having issues with clothing.

My son becomes anxious at the mere mention of having to get dressed..this issue is not only affecting clothes but shoes, glasses on the face and even bedding.

In his words, 'nothing ever feels right'.

Thanks.

Parents
  • Hi, 

I frequently go through similar issues with my 7 year old daughter, I think the only thing is trial and error and finding things which are designed for sensory issues to lessen the anxiety. Seamless socks are great, as are seamless underpants from a large high street retailer, don't know if I'm allowed to name specific brands? Shoes can be a big problem but we have found a great local independent shop which is very clued up and takes time to ensure she has shoes she is happy with. She wears glasses but we haven't had any problems with those, however when she gets a new pair, it can take a lot of fiddling to get them "just right"

Sorry but I don't think I've offered you a real answer, other than time and patience. Also, trying things out like wearing a vest inside out underneath tops so there aren't any annoying seams.

hope this helps in some way.

• Hi, 

I frequently go through similar issues with my 7 year old daughter, I think the only thing is trial and error and finding things which are designed for sensory issues to lessen the anxiety. Seamless socks are great, as are seamless underpants from a large high street retailer, don't know if I'm allowed to name specific brands? Shoes can be a big problem but we have found a great local independent shop which is very clued up and takes time to ensure she has shoes she is happy with. She wears glasses but we haven't had any problems with those, however when she gets a new pair, it can take a lot of fiddling to get them "just right"

Sorry but I don't think I've offered you a real answer, other than time and patience. Also, trying things out like wearing a vest inside out underneath tops so there aren't any annoying seams.

hope this helps in some way.

Children
No Data