First time on here initiall screening assessment tomorrow for aspergers

I am a 40 year old and and am feeling rather nervous but I need to put my self out there. I have asked for an assessment for aspergers. My son was diagnosed one year ago and I have listened to key speakers in various groups and I felt my situations I have been in were being described. I have been trying to justify my reasons that I would be suitable for an assessment and I have been invited for a first appointment initial screening to make a decision to have a full assessment. My appointment is tomorrow. 

Parents
  • [quote user="NAS15678"]

Morning, no need to worry about the initial screening or the assessment, i felt exactly the same way but i think when you know something just does not seem to fit and it's always felt like that for you then that's justification enough!! I felt exactly the same way and because my oldest son who has Aspergers is more crippled in life by his autism than me i kept thinking i cant have the same condition, but of course, no two people are going to be exactly the same autistic or otherwise! My assessment consisted of an inital hour talk with local mental health team who then referred me for the autism assessment which lasted an hour and a half, most of the questions asked around my childhood, no form filling out for me. Just be yourself, and remember that this is a positive step you are taking. Best wishes Sarah

Thankyou Sarah, It all went well now I have been put on the waiting list for assessment which is approx 3 months. I feel like a huge weight is off of my shoulders now. Thanks for replying x

• [quote user="NAS15678"]

Morning, no need to worry about the initial screening or the assessment, i felt exactly the same way but i think when you know something just does not seem to fit and it's always felt like that for you then that's justification enough!! I felt exactly the same way and because my oldest son who has Aspergers is more crippled in life by his autism than me i kept thinking i cant have the same condition, but of course, no two people are going to be exactly the same autistic or otherwise! My assessment consisted of an inital hour talk with local mental health team who then referred me for the autism assessment which lasted an hour and a half, most of the questions asked around my childhood, no form filling out for me. Just be yourself, and remember that this is a positive step you are taking. Best wishes Sarah

Thankyou Sarah, It all went well now I have been put on the waiting list for assessment which is approx 3 months. I feel like a huge weight is off of my shoulders now. Thanks for replying x

Children
No Data