24 female and have just taken the first steps to diagnosis

Hi all, 

As my subject says I'm 24 and last week went to my doctor to ask her about getting started on getting an Asperger’s diagnosis. She seemed a bit baffled (unfortunately it was the first time I have seen her as my normal doctor has just gone on maternity leave) but I am going back in a week and 5 days to talk it all through as then she will have time to know what to do. I live in a very quiet part of England so can't imagine they get many adults in saying I have Aspergers, diagnose me please. 

Anyway, I just wanted to meet some other people at different stages of diagnosis and/ or who have lived knowing they have ASD all their lives- I've been doing a lot of reading about the subject unsurprisingly, and in particular the difference between male and female ASD people but still know very little.

So nice to meet you all!

• Thanks all for your replies. I've done a range of AQ type tests and always come out quite high on them- this one for instance I got 43, which is what pushed me to going to my doctors for an official diagnosis. 

The list of female Aspergers traits is really interesting- there are quite a few traits there that I originally thought meant I didnt have ASD. 

Thanks

Silver

• Hello and welcome. 

I'm female and also only realised I was an aspie fairly recently. 

Have you seen this website about the traits of female Aspies? 

taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/.../

Take care 

Pixie 

• Hi Silver28 - and welcome.  Great to make your acquaintance!

GP bafflement is probably to be expected, as I doubt many GPs have an 'autism' background for their special area of expertise.  I know that mine was surprised when my therapist recommended a referral - but she agreed. Well done for pushing ahead with it, anyway.  Persevere!

Have you taken the AQ test?  If not, it's a good indicator which you could use to validate your concerns.

aspergerstest.net/.../

How's life been for you so far?  What's led you to believe you're on the spectrum?

I got my diagnosis last year, at 56.  It helped me to put my whole life into perspective.  It hasn't all been positive, of course.  Maybe, if things had happened when I was your age, I may have had an easier life, with the support I needed.  But there it is.

Anyway... good luck with things. If you check around on some of the other threads, I'm sure you'll find a lot in common with people here.  I've only been here about a month, but people have given me a lot of reassurance already.  It's a great community.

Tom