Hi

Hello everyone, I'm Hayley, and having done a lot of research after various people who don't know each other suggested to me that I am Asperger's, I am tackling it head-on.

I have recently started counselling for my anxiety/low self esteem issues. 

I exhibit quite a few Asperger's traits. 

Recently I found my old school reports, a time capsule if you like - and some of the comments are quite telling. 

Once counselling is finished I want to take things further and ask for a proper diagnosis. I am aware that the first step is to ask my GP - but I can't just walk in there and tell him that I think I have a mild form of autism - I need to present my argument constructively so that he understands that this is a big deal for me.

Advise and information will be most welcome, as will be experiences from others who have recently realised, into adult life, that they've lived with something that's made them 'different' their entire lives.

Hope to get more insight into this.

Hayley 

Parents
  • clovis said:

Its worth noting that autism manifests differently in women and the online AQ tests are designed for autistic males. We have less tendency to care about numbers, trains etc and do more copying of our peers which masks our autism.

It might also be worth mentioning the difference to your doctor if he/she is hesitant about referring you for diagnosis.

Good luck!

Haha!  Yes, I overlooked this!

I have a lower tendency to care about these issues, too.  Though I've always had a lower tendency for male preoccupations.

• clovis said:

Its worth noting that autism manifests differently in women and the online AQ tests are designed for autistic males. We have less tendency to care about numbers, trains etc and do more copying of our peers which masks our autism.

It might also be worth mentioning the difference to your doctor if he/she is hesitant about referring you for diagnosis.

Good luck!

Haha!  Yes, I overlooked this!

I have a lower tendency to care about these issues, too.  Though I've always had a lower tendency for male preoccupations.

Children
No Data