Awaiting an ASD assessment

Hi,

My son is on the waiting list for an ASD assessment which came to light after some development reviews. we first went to seek help as my son wasn't self feeding, walked late at two and didnt talk until he was two and if it wasnt for the local childrens centre I am not sure we would be where we are now.

The word autism was last said to me last summer and fast forward a year and at the development assessment and they officially said they want him to be assessed. It wasa big step for my husband to attend the last development review but I needed him to hear what the paediatrician was going to say...Its an acceptance thing I suppose that things are different or quirky but my darling son is still my darling son.

I have had highs and lows and waves of emotion.

We did attend a meeting last week to sign up for the early birds and we are trying to stay positive but all i want to do is cry really. 

Are other parents starting this journey? 

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi kittycath,

I am just starting the diagnosis process for my 4 year old daughter. My son is already diagnosed as autistic, as have I. My son now attends a special school and is thriving - despite missing a year of school he is now back on target for his age. Having a diagnosis has meant that he gets the right support, in the right environment by people who consider his individual needs (which mainstream education never did).

It is understandable to feel upset, like something is changing or being taken away. But your son will still be the same boy as he is today and always has been. Nothing is changing but you are potentially getting the chance to understand him better.

Whilst it makes things difficult, autism isn't necessarily the end of the world. A lot of people with autism can go on and have independent and fulfilling lives. Many on this forum were diagnosed later in life (myself included) and have had what could be considered "success" in life.

• Hi kittycath,

I am just starting the diagnosis process for my 4 year old daughter. My son is already diagnosed as autistic, as have I. My son now attends a special school and is thriving - despite missing a year of school he is now back on target for his age. Having a diagnosis has meant that he gets the right support, in the right environment by people who consider his individual needs (which mainstream education never did).

It is understandable to feel upset, like something is changing or being taken away. But your son will still be the same boy as he is today and always has been. Nothing is changing but you are potentially getting the chance to understand him better.

Whilst it makes things difficult, autism isn't necessarily the end of the world. A lot of people with autism can go on and have independent and fulfilling lives. Many on this forum were diagnosed later in life (myself included) and have had what could be considered "success" in life.

Children
No Data