Hi there - just a bit about me (new member)

Hi there,

I am a 19 year old female and I was finally diagnosed with high functioning autism last week. I love learning languages and particularly like talking to native speakers!! I also enjoy singer-songwriting and use this as a way of exploring how I'm feeling.

I have had various mental health issues in the past, including anxiety and OCD and have recently been an inpatient in an eating disorder unit, where they recognised certain ASD traits and referred me for an assessment.

The diagnosis, whilst a shock to my parents, has actually been a massive relief for me and I now feel that I can fully be myself and accept myself more.

So I guess I'm just here to say hi and maybe to meet other people who I can relate to. Maybe there's someone who shares similar interests? Or maybe someone has a particular hobby or interest which I might also like?

It would just be nice to be able to chat with people and I'm already finding lots of the discussions very useful! 

So thank you!

Parents
  • Hi Language Lover.  I'm glad it was a relief for you.  It was for me, too, to get that diagnosis.  Suddenly, life makes sense!  I, too, have had associated MH problems over the years - anxiety, depression, etc.  At one time it was thought I had Borderline Personality Disorder.  But the Asperger's diagnosis nailed it!

I've always wanted to learn new languages, but don't have much facility for it.  My attention span has always been low, and I guess I'm a bit too right-brain dominant!  Having said that, reading and writing were always my top things at school.  I was hopeless at everything else and usually came bottom of the year.  Later on, though, in my late 20s, I managed to get into uni and take a degree (in English and American Lit).

Writing is my passion - fiction and poetry.  I've written since I was 10 (all the other boys where I lived were out playing football, while I was indoors typing!)  I don't have a problem with imagination, and writing is the perfect communication medium for me.  I'm not a social person and never have been - which is just as well, as it's a solitary occupation.

Anyway... it's nice to meet you.  See you around!

Tom

• Hi Language Lover.  I'm glad it was a relief for you.  It was for me, too, to get that diagnosis.  Suddenly, life makes sense!  I, too, have had associated MH problems over the years - anxiety, depression, etc.  At one time it was thought I had Borderline Personality Disorder.  But the Asperger's diagnosis nailed it!

I've always wanted to learn new languages, but don't have much facility for it.  My attention span has always been low, and I guess I'm a bit too right-brain dominant!  Having said that, reading and writing were always my top things at school.  I was hopeless at everything else and usually came bottom of the year.  Later on, though, in my late 20s, I managed to get into uni and take a degree (in English and American Lit).

Writing is my passion - fiction and poetry.  I've written since I was 10 (all the other boys where I lived were out playing football, while I was indoors typing!)  I don't have a problem with imagination, and writing is the perfect communication medium for me.  I'm not a social person and never have been - which is just as well, as it's a solitary occupation.

Anyway... it's nice to meet you.  See you around!

Tom

Children
No Data