Hello, just been diagnosed an Aspergirl

Hi! My name is Madge, I'm 44 and live in Sheffield. Got my diagnosis last week which is really exciting! My partner and family are cool about it, in fact my nephew and probably dad have it too. Would love to make some new friends on here! really want to get involved with the autistic community and make a positive difference. I teach piano for a living and I'm a singer/songwriter, I released an album last year. I'm *** and non-binary which means I don't really feel female or male, somewhere inbetween. My partner also feels this way although she's neurotypical. A friend bought me the book "Aspergirls" which is brilliant, not read it all yet but it really describes me! 

• Hi Madge,

Hopefully I can relate to you some what as I've just been diagnosed with High Functioning Autism (HFA) only 5 weeks ago following a private assessment so I am very much adapting to this. I'm 31 years old so this diagnosis has come slightly later in my life and I have pretty much read all the publications I can access to find out more about HFA females (trust me there ain't much on this topic, it's all aimed at low functioning autism, children or men!!)

It's a relief to finally have a formal diagnosis as I now know that I'm not just a little freak of nature who sees the world in a slightly odd way, there is actually something recognisably different about me! It's really allowed me to get a great understanding of my condition, allowed me to understand myself a heck of a lot better and then also see where my strengths lie.

I won't prattle on and bore you to death, but it's nice to meet you and I'm Peachi; I have to sleep with the duvet over my head even in the height of Summer,  I can't stand maths, I am hyper sensitive to noises and I suffer meltdowns on a weekly basis :) x

• Welcome funkiepiano,

You're in good company here - there are quite a few of us who weren't diagnosed until our forties and beyond.  Just a couple of months ago a 45y.o. for me.

It's great that you feel that your diagnosis is a positive revelation, and wonderful that your partner and family are so supportive.

It's interesting to me how many autistic adults seem to be keen musicians and/or visual artists.  I'm a drummer and bass player myself, and a keen photographer.  It seems to be that, for many of us, doing something creative is an excellent way to find some inner calm and peace when the world around us feels a bit overwhelming.  There are probably enough of us here to get a pretty impressive band together if we weren't scattered all over the country!

Love what you say about wanting to make a positive difference.  There seem to be very few "formal" resources for older adults on the spectrum, so being able to get together in places like this to mutally support each other is a fantastic thing.  It often brings me to tears when people write back to say that a post of mine has helped them, after so many years before diagnosis of feeling that I've been a failure with nothing to offer the world.  And the help that I've received from so many kind, generous people makes the world seem so much less frightening than it used to!

Best wishes.