An adult with Aspergers...

Hello. I'm a 50-year-old single man who's currently in the NHS system waiting for an Asperger's diagnosis. I have some support from the CMH team, but I want to help myself. There is a reason for this. On my third visit with the CMH team, I was told they had some good news. The good news was a letter from the NHS saying that after consideration, I did not qualify for funding to put me forward for tests. "What are you thinking right now?" asked my support worker. I replied that I was thinking about how I could kill myself. A remark that was challenged as reactionary. After 45 minutes of utter despair, the support worker said, a little patronisingly, let's read the letter again - there were just three sentences. At the top of the letter were three numbers - an internal reference, a case number and my DOB. The DOB was wrong. It was not my letter. Two agonising hours later, I was called to be told they had made a mistake and I did qualify for funding. I have major issues of trust as it is. This caved me in. This is why I want to try to help myself. I'm in a queue, but I don't know how long it'll take. Are there any videos, or articles I can read that can help me accept my situation? Where can I turn to for advice?

Parents
  • Welcome,

You're not alone - I completed the evaluation process that you're lined up for only a couple of weeks ago, at 45 years old.  Prior to that, I had been rejected on financial grounds twice!  (and I'm still waiting for a written copy of my report two weeks later! Grrr)

I had a very good experience going through the assessment - though it must be noted that services vary a lot from place to place.  However, I would say that I have learned a lot more about my condition through internet forums such as this one.  You can't beat hearing advice "from the horses mouth" - doctors can give syptoms all the pretty names they like, but most of them have never actually "lived" the experience.  I'd encourage you to check out other forums for autistic folks - most have openly accessible areas where you can "lurk" before deciding which ones you would like to join.

Having read other peole's experience of autism beforehan also cushioned the blow of the diagnosis - your idea of going in 'forewarned' and 'forearmed' is a good one.  I am still reeling from it somewhat - but in a positive sense of solving puzzles that have been with me a long time.

Best wishes.

• Welcome,

You're not alone - I completed the evaluation process that you're lined up for only a couple of weeks ago, at 45 years old.  Prior to that, I had been rejected on financial grounds twice!  (and I'm still waiting for a written copy of my report two weeks later! Grrr)

I had a very good experience going through the assessment - though it must be noted that services vary a lot from place to place.  However, I would say that I have learned a lot more about my condition through internet forums such as this one.  You can't beat hearing advice "from the horses mouth" - doctors can give syptoms all the pretty names they like, but most of them have never actually "lived" the experience.  I'd encourage you to check out other forums for autistic folks - most have openly accessible areas where you can "lurk" before deciding which ones you would like to join.

Having read other peole's experience of autism beforehan also cushioned the blow of the diagnosis - your idea of going in 'forewarned' and 'forearmed' is a good one.  I am still reeling from it somewhat - but in a positive sense of solving puzzles that have been with me a long time.

Best wishes.

Children
No Data