Struggling mum

it is coming up to 2 years since we started trying to get a diagnosis for our 6 year old daughter. Still waiting despite numerous assessments and questionnaires but pointing towards Aspergers. I'm just really struggling with her constant meltdowns, getting her to bed or school. We are always late because she won't get dressed, clean teeth. She had 4 different outfits today because they were all itchy. Homework is piling up because she had such a short attention span. Her behaviour is getting worse and to the point where I don't want to taker her out because it's not enjoyable. I feel like such a failure

• We have finally received a diagnosis of Autism today. Mixed emotions but quite a relief to know at last. I really appreciate the time you have taken to reply and am willing to try anything. Thank you xx

• hi - I'm looking for a piano teacher who would be able to teach Lessons from our house.  My LO has been having lessons and has ability, loves music but the present arrangement has not been successful.  I'd be grateful for any info on this.  Thanks.

• Okay - Grace's Mum, please know you are not alone in your experience. From my perspective, I will give you some advice. None of this is a judgement - take what you want and ignore the rest, as you wish.

1) Set up a picture timetable - your daughter can help or not. Days of the week, big arrow on the day you are on. List the routine of things you need to do - tick box at the end (for when each thing is done). This routine may vary but try to keep the 'get ready and dressed at the same time, even at the weekend to help estabilsh continuity for you and Grace.

2) Ask school teachers to help you and take photos for each different activity. Ask them to help you make a social book for school. The SENCo should know how to help make this easily and should help. It works like a reading book, but it is a soothing mantra, and remind your child of the different things that happen at school, and what she is supposed to do in that time...

3) Each night talk through what will happen the next morning -'we will get up, next we will... until you are at the school gate ...If you know things will be different then... 'tomorrow we will....'. Let her choose which clothes will be worn the next day...

4) Ask for different ways in which you can practise the skills in homework - sometimes as long as Grace may prefer to record it, or show her knowledge in a different way. you could take a video of her counting, for example, or sharing what she thinks of a reading book...

Or ignore the homework completely until you have a calmer routine.

This all will take time, I do hope you find something useful to help - I am sure others will advise better. Focus more on routine than diagnosis, as this will actually help you now, everyday.