just been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at 69 years old

Hello all i am gus c a 69 year old pensioner who volunteers for lots of different organisations .  I had been suffering what i thought was anxiety and depression after being diagnosed with prostate Cancer 12 years ago and having no support in the way of family or friends . I had one to one councelling at my GP's one to one therapy with a mental Health Nurse ,Group Therapy and CBT but non of them worked . The only thing that works for me is voluntary work and lots of it . Anyway i went to my GP feeling very low about 5 weeks ago and asked for a Mental Health assessment . I went for it last saturday morning and had a lot of questionaires with tick boxes and the practitioner looked at them and said i definatelly had Asperger's Syndrome and anxiety is part of it . I have not had a very good life up till now and i think it may be i have had it for all my life . I had a bad time at school with bullying and time off with injuries .Losing an eye and breaking bones including a badly broken leg after being pushed off a bike by bullies . I have been harrassed by bullies for money lately and have had them jailed three times and another case coming to court next month . The amount taken from me is in the thousands of pounds . The assessor said he would get me some help for the Court Case and told me to get in touch with you here . I volunteer Nationally with NHS England as a patient rep for Urology on a clinical reference group and Judging Vanguard Bids for new models of care with NHS England and interviewing new staff for NHS England at all levels . I am Patient Representative (removed by mod) for Urological Cancer . I can work at a high level and be listened to but i can also just resign for the most trivial things if i feel i have been talked to the wrong way . I dont know what the treatment is or if there is any or what happens from now .

Parents
  • Hi Gus, welcome to the forum, I wish you a good christmas. I was diagnosed earlier this year at 49. I have found that I have been able to join up some of the dots in the picture since. Understanding it a bit better isn't a solution, but I think gives you a better standing to move forward. I don't know how  many cousuellors you have spoken to. I have had four or five at various stages in my life, the one I saw last year really made a big difference to me, and have been fighting to try and see him again.

Its great you have found help from voluntary work, and can understand that. I have been working in IT most of my adult life, and now begining to realise that my life in work and out of work are different, and my work life has been a support for my difficulties in my personal life. 

• Hi Gus, welcome to the forum, I wish you a good christmas. I was diagnosed earlier this year at 49. I have found that I have been able to join up some of the dots in the picture since. Understanding it a bit better isn't a solution, but I think gives you a better standing to move forward. I don't know how  many cousuellors you have spoken to. I have had four or five at various stages in my life, the one I saw last year really made a big difference to me, and have been fighting to try and see him again.

Its great you have found help from voluntary work, and can understand that. I have been working in IT most of my adult life, and now begining to realise that my life in work and out of work are different, and my work life has been a support for my difficulties in my personal life. 

Children
No Data