Reassurance ?

Hello,  I'm new to this! I was wondering if anyone might have any advice please?  My son  is autistic. He's 11 years old and very intelligent. He's a very anxious boy, he will literally cower behind me at times. He's very literal.  He's seen the tv news and is terrified of the situation in Syria. On the night of the commons vote I couldn't him to bed, he was still up at 1130pm, convinced we were all about to die. Obviously I've tried to reassure him but I'm not sure what to say. 

Parents
  • Hi Pipkin

I have a 7 year old DS who is not yet DX but sufferes greatly with anxiety to the point of throwing up.  We do not have the topical programmes on in our house.... yet!

How ever i find that distraction helps especially at night.  This seems to be the time his anxiety is hightened we use his fans, his TV with use of a timer (traffic light to monitor the time on his Tv at night) his music system and when things like bad weather are causing the concern, headphones.  i'm not saying that it completely takes the anxiety away but it helps.  He also has his comforters, he likes textured things but maybe your boy would like fiddly objects ie yellow stretchy man reminds me of a smiley emoticon.

i know your boy is older but it might work.

I have also a few books one of them maybe suitable to explain anxiety for his age, if he understand it maybe he can control it a little better,

The Panicosaurus by K.I. Al-Ghani

There are also great ones on Amazon that might be more particular for your DS that give great reviews which help.

We also have the feelings board that goes from 1-5 explaining how he feels at each step, were still new to it but i have heard good things in using it for all ages.  It gives them a simple way of telling us how they feel so we can manage the surroundings for them and they dont have to increase their anxiety.  

Also got this on Amazon.

Hope this helps and if not atleast you know you are not alone :)

• Hi Pipkin

I have a 7 year old DS who is not yet DX but sufferes greatly with anxiety to the point of throwing up.  We do not have the topical programmes on in our house.... yet!

How ever i find that distraction helps especially at night.  This seems to be the time his anxiety is hightened we use his fans, his TV with use of a timer (traffic light to monitor the time on his Tv at night) his music system and when things like bad weather are causing the concern, headphones.  i'm not saying that it completely takes the anxiety away but it helps.  He also has his comforters, he likes textured things but maybe your boy would like fiddly objects ie yellow stretchy man reminds me of a smiley emoticon.

i know your boy is older but it might work.

I have also a few books one of them maybe suitable to explain anxiety for his age, if he understand it maybe he can control it a little better,

The Panicosaurus by K.I. Al-Ghani

There are also great ones on Amazon that might be more particular for your DS that give great reviews which help.

We also have the feelings board that goes from 1-5 explaining how he feels at each step, were still new to it but i have heard good things in using it for all ages.  It gives them a simple way of telling us how they feel so we can manage the surroundings for them and they dont have to increase their anxiety.  

Also got this on Amazon.

Hope this helps and if not atleast you know you are not alone :)

Children
No Data