Looking for some help?

Hi,

I am a student journalist at Nottingham Trent University. For my final year dissertation, I am doing a study and feature on autism and whether mainstream education caters for people on the spectrum.

I have two cousins with forms of autism so the subject is very close to my heart and something I feel does not get the coverage and exposure it should. 

While I know there are many successful autism-only schools up and down the country, I am also aware of instances where mainstream schools have been unable to provide the children with the education they require.

Just wondering whether anybody on here has any stories of where their children have struggled at a regular school and why it was the case. Are teachers trained to deal with people on the spectrum or is it more the child struggles?

It would be of great help to me, if anybody that had suffered seriously with this subject in mind would chat with me briefly about their experience with mainstream education, or even on a lighter note a success story r.e. an autism-only school.

I look forward to speaking to some of you.

Cheers. 

Matt Ball

Parents
  • This is a peer support environment, supposedly safe, and therefore not appropriate for students as a quarry for dissertations; besides which the forum rules require you to seek approval of the Moderators for research. Unfortunately your university is a perstent abuser of the site, which is a sad reflection on the quality of Higher Education being offered there.

In an undergraduate dissertation you cannot ensure confidentiality - dissertation and data lie around a lot after completion, and even with encoding information gathered this way can identify both persons and services. You are asking people to confide their personal experiences just for you to do your dissertation, it is so unethical.

Most decent universities don't do this. They properly advise their students on research ethics. Your university just seems to troll helplines mercilessly.

Interestingly the psychology department recently did a seminar entitled "How well can people with autism read minds, and how well can other people read the minds of those with autism". Doesn't inspire confidence. Should stick to bricklaying and hairdressing.

• This is a peer support environment, supposedly safe, and therefore not appropriate for students as a quarry for dissertations; besides which the forum rules require you to seek approval of the Moderators for research. Unfortunately your university is a perstent abuser of the site, which is a sad reflection on the quality of Higher Education being offered there.

In an undergraduate dissertation you cannot ensure confidentiality - dissertation and data lie around a lot after completion, and even with encoding information gathered this way can identify both persons and services. You are asking people to confide their personal experiences just for you to do your dissertation, it is so unethical.

Most decent universities don't do this. They properly advise their students on research ethics. Your university just seems to troll helplines mercilessly.

Interestingly the psychology department recently did a seminar entitled "How well can people with autism read minds, and how well can other people read the minds of those with autism". Doesn't inspire confidence. Should stick to bricklaying and hairdressing.

Children
No Data