16 year old son

hello, i am new here. i would really appreciate advice how to help my 16 year old son. He has never been diagnosed with autism, but i strongly feel he is on the spectrum. He has always found making friends hard, and has only had one proper friend in secondary school.  He is ok talking to someone he sits next to in class, because it is structured. during breaks he cannot cope as well. He has lots of other little issues which add up to big problems for me to know how to support him. He wont go to hairdressers, dentist or shave. he is very open to me, but cannot explain why he finds these things difficult, he just says he is different from other people. He worries about everyday life, and needs to bounce on his trampoline for half an hour at the end of each day. if he cant get onto his trampoline he get distressed, so it is a compulsion and coping mechanism. my main problem now is that his best friend at school as left to go to another sixth form. My son has tried to approach other groups at school, but just doesnt quite fit in. He say no one wants to talk to him or be his friend.  my son says he hates who he is, and no one wants to know him.My son would never cope with a diagnosis of autism, and doesnt want help with a counsellor. i feel we have got to the stage when he might need some help, and wondered if anyone can recommend what type of help has helped their child. for the past week since going back to school, he hasnt come out of his room much. he doesnt cope with changes well, and had 3 months off school over the summer due to gcses. this hasnt done him any good as he has become very isolated and lost alot of confidence. sorry to go on and on, i would just love some support from someone who has a child similar to mine, and know how best i can support him. thank you so much.

Parents
  • "Martian in the Playground - understanding the schoolchild with Asperger's syndrome" by Clare Sainsbury, published in 2000, while a little dated, and more attuned to primary and lower secondary, is useful perhaps in understanding behaviour in retrospect. Your son might identify with many of the siituations described, but it would also help you understand, and make it easier to determine whether to broach the subject with him (Lucky Duck Publications ISBN  1 873 942 08 7 this code helps librarians and bookshops find it).

"Making Sense of the unfeasible - My life journey with Asperger Syndrome" by Marc Fleisher (Jessica Kingsley Publishers 2003 ISBN 1 84310 165 3) is biographical. The big problem with biographies is the wide range of manifestations. One person's "life with autism" can seem quite alien to another's. But Marc Fleisher's account spans childhood to adulthood.

Knowing is useful. Understanding why you have social difficulties helps you strategise. Not knowing why things go on makes life much harder. Nothing is "common sense" if you don't have good social referencing in the first place. What he cannot do, if he has asperger's, is pick up much social understanding from his peers.

• "Martian in the Playground - understanding the schoolchild with Asperger's syndrome" by Clare Sainsbury, published in 2000, while a little dated, and more attuned to primary and lower secondary, is useful perhaps in understanding behaviour in retrospect. Your son might identify with many of the siituations described, but it would also help you understand, and make it easier to determine whether to broach the subject with him (Lucky Duck Publications ISBN  1 873 942 08 7 this code helps librarians and bookshops find it).

"Making Sense of the unfeasible - My life journey with Asperger Syndrome" by Marc Fleisher (Jessica Kingsley Publishers 2003 ISBN 1 84310 165 3) is biographical. The big problem with biographies is the wide range of manifestations. One person's "life with autism" can seem quite alien to another's. But Marc Fleisher's account spans childhood to adulthood.

Knowing is useful. Understanding why you have social difficulties helps you strategise. Not knowing why things go on makes life much harder. Nothing is "common sense" if you don't have good social referencing in the first place. What he cannot do, if he has asperger's, is pick up much social understanding from his peers.

Children
No Data