Awaiting Diagnosis

Hi everyone.

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks, and have just plucked up courage to actually join in!  I'll try to keep my post as concise as I can.  I am a 55 year old male.

Back in May, I decided to read up more about autism, as I didn't know much about it.  My sister works one-to-one with children with autism as a teaching assistant, hence my wanting to find out more about the subject.  I came across the AQ test, and out of interest, completed it.  I was astonished to find my score reading 40.  I also discovered and completed the RAADS test, and this too showed me above the threshold.  I tried re-taking the tests, but each time getting similar scores.

I spoke to my sister about the results, and she surprised me further by confiding to me that she has suspected for some time that I might be "on the spectrum".  My RAADS test score suggested it might be worth speaking to a health professional, and with support from my sister also, I spoke to a GP about my concerns.  I should add that I did a lot of research online, and found several websites (including the NAS one and others like help4aspergers), which were revelatory for me - describing a whole list of AS/autistic traits that I recognise in myself, including many positive ones.  I explained my concerns to a locum doctor at our local practice, and she was excellent, referring me to the MHU of our local hospital (I understand that getting a referral is sometimes the hardest part!).  In the Initial Assessment, they told me that I did indeed present with several autistic traits, and I received a letter soon after confirming I will be referred for a Full Assessment.  The downside is that, in our area, the waiting list is 18 months to 2 years!  Self diagnosis is not an option for me - I only feel comfortable with an official diagnosis.

At this point in time, and for some time to come, I'm going to be in the middle, not knowing where I stand.  I'm aware that people can show some autistic traits without actually having an ASD.  I also find that I'm less affected by some traits, yet others affect me considerably more so, and from what I can gather, everyone with an ASD presents differently - hence the "spectrum"...?

I know at this point I shouldn't necessarily jump to any conclusions as to whether I am on the autistic spectrum or not.  I should add that I don't feel wary of it either - I would feel quite comfortable with a diagnosis of ASD if it did happen, as it would answer so many questions as to how my life has progressed (or not).  As mentioned earlier, the last 3 months or so has been revelatory for me.

It's going to be a long wait for the Full Assessment, but being part of this forum I'm sure will provide support and friendship in the meantime - and after, too - whatever the outcome!

Parents
  • I'm reasonably new to the forum and am awaiting initial assessment - I'm a 30 year old woman.  Only last month I felt able to take my suspicions about a diagnosis to my GP, and she agreed to refer me.  I completed the referral form and returned it straightaway, but am awaiting further contact, which is not helping my anxiety greatly and I feel very much in limbo.  I don't want to start saying, "I'm self-diagnosed Asperger's" and have people be disbelieving or thinking I'm attention-seeking... but I do genuinely struggle with some aspects of day-to-day life far more than others.  I'm hoping for help, support and friendship on this forum too.  I've started blogging my thoughts too in the hopes of helping others who may be on a similar journey.  (http://iammyownexperience.com)

• I'm reasonably new to the forum and am awaiting initial assessment - I'm a 30 year old woman.  Only last month I felt able to take my suspicions about a diagnosis to my GP, and she agreed to refer me.  I completed the referral form and returned it straightaway, but am awaiting further contact, which is not helping my anxiety greatly and I feel very much in limbo.  I don't want to start saying, "I'm self-diagnosed Asperger's" and have people be disbelieving or thinking I'm attention-seeking... but I do genuinely struggle with some aspects of day-to-day life far more than others.  I'm hoping for help, support and friendship on this forum too.  I've started blogging my thoughts too in the hopes of helping others who may be on a similar journey.  (http://iammyownexperience.com)

Children
No Data