Project Autism!

Hello! I'm Abi Lloyd, I am 17 and I am currently studying product design at A level! I need your help in my project. My project is to design and make an educational product (e.g toy) for children with autism which is targeted at a specific problem children with autism face! I'd love your support by quickly filling in my online questionnaire to help me gather information for this project.

www.surveymonkey.com/.../QQ6NWN8

Many thanks!

Abi

• I think what you want to do is a great idea, it is a shame there are not more people who want to identify and recognise specific needs and do something special. What age range do you want to do this for?

This is your first starting point as then you will be able to determine what type of product you want to create based on health and safety as young kids put things in their mouths etc.

I would suggest that you incorporate somehow COLOURS

• They evidently didn't read my feedback of the fact either.

This is not quite the same as a dissertation project, but an on line questionnaire, without clearance by the moderators, is the wrong way, and an A level project would have absolutely no way of ensuring confidentiality of information provided.

However the idea of designing an apt toy sounds interesting and maybe the more appropriate approach would be through the local authority to allow a group of children on the spectrum to be consulted with proper supervision.

• Hi Electra and Classic Codger,

I've taken on board your comments concerning this post and you are both correct about community rules. I'm going to refer this again on your behalf so this post can be dealt with.

Thanks for your understanding,

Sofie

• I do understand what you are and saying and I would be more than happy to make a product like that, however due to this being an A level project, I would most probably be marked down due to not understanding the brief. I will take this on board though during my making by trying to make my project educational but also enjoyable and if this is not possible I will consider this idea as my next project ( hoping to take product design in university ) thanks :)

• I wasn't offended, I was just hoping to show you that there's another side to being autistic, another way of seeing what we are. There is so much focus on trying to make autistic children be and play like neurotypical children and very little on finding what play equipment makes an autistic child happy. We have such capacity for joy and wonder.

I understand that you may have little flexibility in what you do in this project but its something to think about. We want to be accepted not changed.

• Im sorry to hear that my post has offended you, that wording was taken from my brief that was given by the exam board WJEC. I did not mean for my post to be hurtful in any way as I chose this brief to try and help this area. 

• Why not be really groundbreaking and target the toy to address a specific ability that autistic children have. We are so much more that what the world percieves we can't do.

• I forwarded this to a moderator earlier this afternoon, wonder why there's no action?

• Hi

The forum rules say that you must seek permission before asking people here to participate in any sort of research or study.

There used to be a link to do this from here:

community.autism.org.uk/rules

Moderator are you able to sort this out please?