Hi there.

Hi, I'm new here, I have 3 boys on the spectrum, a 23 year old with Aspergers, a 20 year old with Ohtaharas and autism, and an 11 year old with autism.

Our 11 year old is struggling with every aspect of life at the moment, and is missing a lot of school because they cant cope with his anxiety, we are also having problems with the DLA( doesnt everyone?lol) they have dropped his rate for no reason, even though he is now worse than before.

Hoping to talk to other parents of children of secondary age Smile

Parents
  • Hi loukerr

Welcome to the forum - hope you find us helpful and friendly!Smile

We have a daughter on the spectrum (15) and I get a lot of support from this forum. She had massive anxiety issues last year (Y9) and missed at least 50% of school- we have nearly cracked it with reduction in GCSE's to 5, TA support,part time schooling and tutor led work at home - is your son getting the support he really needs from school? Are you getting the support you need for your family from friends/family/outside agencies?

I picked up specifically on your problems with the DLA(DWP)& confirm we have the exact same problem with a drop in our daughter's rate - I felt gutted. I spent hours  on my appeal letter (5 sides of info in fact!) but the lady who dealt with our case 'went on holiday'! I waited til she returned but the line manager stepped in and basically said that I hadn't been clear enough in my 'specifics'!!!!! The outcome is that I went to the CAB and they have helped me quote 'specifics' from the disablity handbook and she highlighted my difficulties and quoted chapter and verse. I am now waiting to go to tribunal which is more stress! .....but I won't give up!!!

When I spoke to the DWP line manager I questioned how on earth just one person can make a decision on a case - he said they have a doctor on site to advise, plus they share case studies. I put it to him that they were basically making assumptions and were meeting their targets plus they didn't really know what it was like caring for a person with autism on a daily basis. I am hoping that the DWP will re-think my case and back down before it goes to tribunal.

Get some help - go to the CAB as they have been really helpful and supportive. Others on the forum will have suggestions that I haven't thought about - I'm very much learning!

Best Wishes, 

Y'Lass x

• Hi loukerr

Welcome to the forum - hope you find us helpful and friendly!Smile

We have a daughter on the spectrum (15) and I get a lot of support from this forum. She had massive anxiety issues last year (Y9) and missed at least 50% of school- we have nearly cracked it with reduction in GCSE's to 5, TA support,part time schooling and tutor led work at home - is your son getting the support he really needs from school? Are you getting the support you need for your family from friends/family/outside agencies?

I picked up specifically on your problems with the DLA(DWP)& confirm we have the exact same problem with a drop in our daughter's rate - I felt gutted. I spent hours  on my appeal letter (5 sides of info in fact!) but the lady who dealt with our case 'went on holiday'! I waited til she returned but the line manager stepped in and basically said that I hadn't been clear enough in my 'specifics'!!!!! The outcome is that I went to the CAB and they have helped me quote 'specifics' from the disablity handbook and she highlighted my difficulties and quoted chapter and verse. I am now waiting to go to tribunal which is more stress! .....but I won't give up!!!

When I spoke to the DWP line manager I questioned how on earth just one person can make a decision on a case - he said they have a doctor on site to advise, plus they share case studies. I put it to him that they were basically making assumptions and were meeting their targets plus they didn't really know what it was like caring for a person with autism on a daily basis. I am hoping that the DWP will re-think my case and back down before it goes to tribunal.

Get some help - go to the CAB as they have been really helpful and supportive. Others on the forum will have suggestions that I haven't thought about - I'm very much learning!

Best Wishes, 

Y'Lass x

Children
No Data