Asburgers and food.

Hi, Am a total newbe at this. I was told my 15 year old son has Asbergers a few months ago, this made an awful lot of issues fall into place, but I am struggling to cope with his diet. His diet is awful ( mainly bread and plain pasta ) when he was younger I supplimented this with vitamin tablets and cod liver oil caps, but now hes older he refuses to take them! As his body changes and develops I worry about the effects this will have on him. Does anyone have any ideas or tips that could help, as he refuses any different foods and I am at the end of my tether with him, as the only food he will eat is mainly bad for him! Thanks  Undecided

• I once tried letting one of my children balence their own diet, when much younger. When food becomes an issue, it can be used as a weapon, or to manipulate situations.

If you have only healthy foods in the house, including healthy snacks such as fruit and nuts. Just serve him the boring food he usually eats, but eat really interesting and varied foods yourself at the same meal. I would suggest that this is foods which are separateable for experimentation. If he sees you eat a variety of vegetables etc in front of him, but not offering him any, he may start to think that he is missing something.

You have to bear in mind the tendancy to intollerances and intense dislikes, so go varied. Almond milk is delicious for example and has calcium.

You also have to be tough and not say "would you like to try some" etc. Say this is what we like, I did not think you would want any, it is not what you eat. The idea is to take the pressure away from food. If he asks for any, be a little grudging about sharing. Healthy snacks should be put in cupboards or in the fridge, to be stolen, never displayed to prominantly. Only replenish if he eats it, and have some yourself, secretively, so he feels he is missing something. If someone walks into a room with something in their mouth, other people think there is something good out there that they are missing out on.

It has to be a long term strategy,if he ever suspects a plot, you will be back to square one.I

• Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Fussy eating is a common problem for people with Aspergers. Have a look at the previous posts on the subject community.autism.org.uk/.../"fussy eating"

Also have a look at the page on the subject at www.autism.org.uk/.../dietary-management-restricted-diet.aspx

What does he think about his diet? Does he want to have a healthy diet and does he understand the problems that it can cause?

The cause of this fussiness is not clear. Some people (such as me) have food intolerances that can cause problems. There are special diets that some people believe can help some people. Have a look at http://fedup.com.au/