any suggestions

Hi, I'm the father of three kids, two are on the spectrum, the eldest is 14. My wife and I are struggling to find a way to support him in finding his way through increasing school pressure, adolescence and independance. Whilst he pushes for more freedom, he needs daily reminders to perform basic domestic tasks our ten year old picked up a long time ago. We swing from overseeing everything to putting it in his hands, neither approach sees much progress. He's hard on himself and we don't want to contribute to his lack of esteem, at the same time we know how important it is for him to stand on his own feet.

I'd welcome contact from anyone who recognises the dilema. We're tired and running out of new ideas.

Parents
  • Hi

Just been reading through the thread - Coogy, glad you're back!

We have a similar situ to you guys - 14 year old (daughter) just diagnosed (mild on the spectrum, but anxiety a big issue) and we are exhausted but plod on daily......! Some days are great and others are duvet days!!

My husband and I, had two, one hour sessions of counselling (family therapy- we just left the kids behind!) just to give us time and space to breathe and express our feelings and fears, with someone who would just listen - it was a real help! Friends tend to listen for a  while, then get bored & family help is very limited -  this forum is a life-saver also.

Our daughter's special needs dept(mainstream) have just set up a termly group so parents can meet over a cuppa - again, it helps with isolation and you can help others as well as bounce ideas back- we don't feel so alone.

All the very best x

• Hi

Just been reading through the thread - Coogy, glad you're back!

We have a similar situ to you guys - 14 year old (daughter) just diagnosed (mild on the spectrum, but anxiety a big issue) and we are exhausted but plod on daily......! Some days are great and others are duvet days!!

My husband and I, had two, one hour sessions of counselling (family therapy- we just left the kids behind!) just to give us time and space to breathe and express our feelings and fears, with someone who would just listen - it was a real help! Friends tend to listen for a  while, then get bored & family help is very limited -  this forum is a life-saver also.

Our daughter's special needs dept(mainstream) have just set up a termly group so parents can meet over a cuppa - again, it helps with isolation and you can help others as well as bounce ideas back- we don't feel so alone.

All the very best x

Children
No Data