Newly diagnosed saying hello

I'm working as a software engineer and am late 30s and have recently officially been officially diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum. It seems they no longer use the term Aspergers?

But anyway, I have had various issues all my life that I couldn't really put into words but mainly stemming I guess from not understanding why people behave the way they do and I suffered quite a lot at school. I tended to be more the quiet type who read a lot and stayed in his room. Looking back on it I am beginning to realise I behaved a lot like I do now but didn't have the ability to explain how I felt different and unfortunately children tend to pick on those who are different.

I had in my 20s a couple of periods off work for extended periods. Diagnosed as anxiety related and had CBT therapy for that. I think in some respect it's almost like I have discovered my own way of managing myself in life. So like I am living as an actor in my own life and I can hold down a job and a relationship so I am very lucky in that respect

What I find hard is other peoples emotions. It's almost like I feel what they are feeling and I cannot in my head understand and it's like I want to explode so to cope I switch off and become emotionally detached, I had read about Aspergers and done tests that said I had high scores but in some ways was very confused because I thought Aspergers was lack of emotion and in many ways I am the opposite. I had a awful temper when I was younger and still do. I guess I analyse myself so much that I feel like I have to control myself all the time. I actually cannot watch certain TV programs like Eastenders because I feel physically uncomfortable.

I always find social situations difficult. I tend to show my face and then disappear. I also find it very hard to look at people, especially their eyes. More people in a situation the worse it is and if they aren't interested in what I am saying then I find it hard to be interested. Apparantly I also have a habit of talking too loudly (even though I can't hear it) and I don't know when I am supposed to talk so I talk over people. I find things go round and round in my head like I can't switch them off.

Other problems are becoming obsessed over things and wanting them so much but then suddenly becoming bored and no longer interested. So if I find a book I like I would want to buy the whole series and everything possible by that author, or I get a song in my head and I have to play it on constant loop. I also have problems with bright light for some reason, no idea why that may be related.

Any change at work or life, any stress and I can feel like I am losing control and my mask slips. Social interaction goes out of the window and I say exactly how I feel. To the point of rudeness frankly. But it's like inside I can feel physically that something is wrong. Any new situations scare me, like an accelerated fear response and somehow I am convinced I will get told off. I procrastinate all the time and constantly obsess over things, talking them to death until something else comes along.

I have a lot to learn about me and what this means in my life. I went to the doctor because I felt I needed a diagnosis on what was wrong with me and now I do. Also i am looking at progressing up the career ladder and that involves more manager work and dealing with people is an issue, as I think this far too long message says. Part of me likes being different and looking at the world from the outside but it's not easy and I want to know how to fit into the world. I guess I see that in some ways being me has advantages, I have a good attention to detail (as long as I curb my perfectionist streak) and I have found a job I can do well but it is hard

I don't know if any of this makes sense, I just felt I needed to connect with people who might be able to help me understand who I am.

Parents
  • My daughter was diagnosed in February and I too, was told they no longer use the term 'Aspergers' but 'Autistic Spectrum Disorder'.  

Like you, my daughter is very emotional.  She is very up or very down and can take on others emotions however, the reason she had her late diagnosis was this amazing ability she has to mimic others so I'm guessing this comes with taking on board emotions but with amplifying them to extremes.  

Good luck in your journey x

• My daughter was diagnosed in February and I too, was told they no longer use the term 'Aspergers' but 'Autistic Spectrum Disorder'.  

Like you, my daughter is very emotional.  She is very up or very down and can take on others emotions however, the reason she had her late diagnosis was this amazing ability she has to mimic others so I'm guessing this comes with taking on board emotions but with amplifying them to extremes.  

Good luck in your journey x

Children
No Data