Extremely socially awkward.

Hi My name is Finley I am extremely socially awkward due to the following issues.

( 1 ) I am often in my own world.

( 2 ) I am terrible at starting convos and when I do I often stall ( meaning the words I really want to stay get stuck in my head like printing paper often gets jammed and I don't say the words and immediately give up trying to say them.

( 3 ) fearing that I don't look interesting or intrested in talking to - as sometimes I am in a room or space where everyone is talking to each other and not talking to me or coming over to talk to me.

( 4 ) intimated by the fact that there Is a lot of stuff that I feel like I should know about but don't because it doesn't meet my interests ( if you understand what I mean )  this makes me even more socially awkward because I can't contribute to something I know little or nothing about

( 5 ) afraid of making jokes incase of doing it wrong and fearing being laughed or mocked for it.

Has anyone else felt like this. if so how do you tackle this? thanks. 

Parents
  • Hey, I am brand new to autism and just joined. Just reaching out to let you know I feel the exact same way as you on all of your points. 

I just learned about the concept of the "double empathy problem" and I really feel like it's valid. I've had these thoughts many times before learning about it. Like I see flaws in how most people communicate just like they see flaws in how I communicate and if neurotypical people were more like me it would be easier. Unfortunately I have not really spoken to any autistic people in my life and just found out that I'm autistic but I've heard it's easier.

So maybe my takeaway is to just accept your differences and don't feel bad of you can't communicate well with normal people. Communication is a two way street and they're responsible for the failure as well. Find people where it's easy, maybe other autistic people. I'm really curious if that would work lol. Or maybe just very calm, patient, accepting people.

Someone please let me know if they disagree. I'm just learning and working through my thoughts.

• Hey, I am brand new to autism and just joined. Just reaching out to let you know I feel the exact same way as you on all of your points. 

I just learned about the concept of the "double empathy problem" and I really feel like it's valid. I've had these thoughts many times before learning about it. Like I see flaws in how most people communicate just like they see flaws in how I communicate and if neurotypical people were more like me it would be easier. Unfortunately I have not really spoken to any autistic people in my life and just found out that I'm autistic but I've heard it's easier.

So maybe my takeaway is to just accept your differences and don't feel bad of you can't communicate well with normal people. Communication is a two way street and they're responsible for the failure as well. Find people where it's easy, maybe other autistic people. I'm really curious if that would work lol. Or maybe just very calm, patient, accepting people.

Someone please let me know if they disagree. I'm just learning and working through my thoughts.

Children
No Data