I think I might be an Aspie

Last night out of sheer frustration at upsetting yet another person, I searched Google, I put something in like 'why do I always upset people when I don't mean to' I found a site explaining about Aspersers and a link to a test to do online. As I was reading the questions in the test I was shocked at how well it all fit me and the problems I have been having, not just as an adult but in my childhood too.

The score was very high 172 out 200. It said I am most probably an Aspie. So of course I started to do more research and found this site. I am female and in my 30s, I was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was a young child and this was used to explain my 'shyness'. But it didn't explain why I would get very upset in any kind of group situation. My poor Mum would take me to Brownies or the Girl Guides and I would run out crying, saying it was too noisy and I didn't understand what was going on etc.

Anyway, I would like to get a proper diagnosis, not for any other reason than to know why I have always struggled keeping friends, why they always get offended by things I say and back away. Why I constantly struggle in social situations and avoid them.

I read that it can be hard to get a referral from a Doctors, and when I looked up a local professional who does the diagnosis, it says it is £300. That is a bit much, so now I am nervous to go to my Doctors and ask. I avoid going to the Doctors, haven't been in over 10 years. I don't want to feel humiliated by asking and them telling me no.

Any advice please? Is it really worth getting diagnosed at my age?

Parents
  • Hello welcome to our lovely little Forum, I hope you will be very happy here indeed. Of course it is worth getting diagnosed at any age. I am now 64 years old I was diagnosed   10 years ago on the Spectrum I suggest you make a double appointment to see your Dr, an say you would like to be refered   to Speech and Language to be assessed to see if you have Autism  or not.  If it is on the N H S you  would not have to pay for an Assessment to be done. I am sure you will find lots of good support on our little Forum here. Don't hesitate if there is anything we can do to .

help you in any way even listening can help a person to get things off our chest.

Helena

• Hello welcome to our lovely little Forum, I hope you will be very happy here indeed. Of course it is worth getting diagnosed at any age. I am now 64 years old I was diagnosed   10 years ago on the Spectrum I suggest you make a double appointment to see your Dr, an say you would like to be refered   to Speech and Language to be assessed to see if you have Autism  or not.  If it is on the N H S you  would not have to pay for an Assessment to be done. I am sure you will find lots of good support on our little Forum here. Don't hesitate if there is anything we can do to .

help you in any way even listening can help a person to get things off our chest.

Helena

Children
No Data