Relocating your adult autistic child abroad

Does anyone have experience or knowledge regarding relocating your autistic child to another country?

• starting or switching school (autism.org.uk)

^^^ NAS has a fantastic information page that may help with this, in terms of educational changes...I suppose some of these can be applied to general life.

From experience of working with Autistic adult children that are moving, previously I have:

- made a special moving box and posted it to the new address (containing earplugs, sunglasses, cue cards, a new/familiar toy, letter of welcome from their new school, and relaxation tools - this one particular child loved rain sticks, so one was sent over to USA with them)

- floor planned their new room - I asked the parents what size, where their new room was etc. and made 'scaled' cut outs of bedroom furniture. They got to place things where they wanted, picked the colours and themes. This involvement helped them create their own safe space and also had some control over the move. It became a processing element and also allowed self expression.

- offer a local tour - get to know your area, showing the child/adult what amenities are in the area. Ask them if they wish to visit their new local neighbours and let them have involvement in planning new local days out.

I hope this has somewhat helped.

PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT A CLINICIAN, I HAVE A PEER SUPPORT BACKGROUND.