Recent Adult Diagnosis of Autism and need advice

Hi everyone, 

I hope you are all well and I would like to ask for some advice. I have recently been diagnosed with Autism as an adult (in my late twenties) and I am really struggling. I don't know how to get proper support both in work and just for mental health support and also how to access any help for this. This is my first post, so I really hope someone can help or advise. 

Firstly, I have tried to explain in work my struggles, which they are trying to help, but I don't feel like they are really listening to my desperate need for clearer instructions as its always vague and makes me unable to do tasks and my struggles with tasks involving new people and large groups due to social anxiety. Does anyone have any advice or someone to signpost me for work related issues concerning the diagnosis? I have contacted access to work, but there waiting time is 18 weeks and I don't know if I can last that long in the job. 

Secondly, I really thought after receiving the diagnosis, I would have heard something from my doctor. I have told them but I haven't been offered anything apart from antidepressants and a year waiting list for CBT. Can anyone advise if there's an email or phone number for support with Autism. I thought the National Autistic Society would have a helpline or email, but I can't find anything and I really need to talk to someone. It's just really hard knowing I need to wait for so long for any help. 

It would just be nice to hear from others who have been through a similar thing and what support there is, as I feel really alone and isolated as I don't know anyone in my immediate family and friends who have the condition and understand fully. I also only had the diagnosis recently, so although I have been living with it, I have without knowing and getting no support because I didn't know what would help me. I hope it was ok to share that here. 

Thank you 

Parents
  • I'm sorry to say that support for late diagnosed adults is virtually non-existent. I have struggled for a year and my GP did write to the autism team in my NHS area and they replied saying they were only a diagnostic service and here is a list of charities now go away!. Ok I added the last bit of that sentence.

Regarding work if your employer is helpful then they should sit and talk over things. Notice I said should! My manager has dithered for over a year since disclosure. Keep a written record of everything just in case you need it legally. Remember you are covered under the Equality Act 2010.

Are you in a union? Don't expect much from HR. Have you got an occupational health department? Everything helps.

I am sorry if I am painting a bad picture but it is better to be prepared just in case. The above reflects my journey until now. It may seem like a nightmare but there are folks out there and on here so that you do not have to feel alone.

• Thank you Mr.T for your reply, I really appreciate it, and I appreciate the honesty in your response too and I am glad there are people like yourself and others on here who are helping me feel less alone, so thank you :) Just having someone respond and understand helps a lot. I am going to try to join union actually as I think thats super important and I should have already done this, but I will give this a go for sure and try to join asap. I agree about manager and HR, I feel the same way since disclosure, so I will keep a written record as you suggested. I hope you are ok and again, thank you :)

• Thank you Mr.T for your reply, I really appreciate it, and I appreciate the honesty in your response too and I am glad there are people like yourself and others on here who are helping me feel less alone, so thank you :) Just having someone respond and understand helps a lot. I am going to try to join union actually as I think thats super important and I should have already done this, but I will give this a go for sure and try to join asap. I agree about manager and HR, I feel the same way since disclosure, so I will keep a written record as you suggested. I hope you are ok and again, thank you :)

Children
No Data