Recent Adult Diagnosis of Autism and need advice

Hi everyone, 

I hope you are all well and I would like to ask for some advice. I have recently been diagnosed with Autism as an adult (in my late twenties) and I am really struggling. I don't know how to get proper support both in work and just for mental health support and also how to access any help for this. This is my first post, so I really hope someone can help or advise. 

Firstly, I have tried to explain in work my struggles, which they are trying to help, but I don't feel like they are really listening to my desperate need for clearer instructions as its always vague and makes me unable to do tasks and my struggles with tasks involving new people and large groups due to social anxiety. Does anyone have any advice or someone to signpost me for work related issues concerning the diagnosis? I have contacted access to work, but there waiting time is 18 weeks and I don't know if I can last that long in the job. 

Secondly, I really thought after receiving the diagnosis, I would have heard something from my doctor. I have told them but I haven't been offered anything apart from antidepressants and a year waiting list for CBT. Can anyone advise if there's an email or phone number for support with Autism. I thought the National Autistic Society would have a helpline or email, but I can't find anything and I really need to talk to someone. It's just really hard knowing I need to wait for so long for any help. 

It would just be nice to hear from others who have been through a similar thing and what support there is, as I feel really alone and isolated as I don't know anyone in my immediate family and friends who have the condition and understand fully. I also only had the diagnosis recently, so although I have been living with it, I have without knowing and getting no support because I didn't know what would help me. I hope it was ok to share that here. 

Thank you 

Parents
  • Welcome aboard!

I was recently diagnosed in feb, I think it's different for everyone but the common theme is that it's a kind of shock, even if you were expecting it.

Over the few months since mine I've slowly felt better, I've started to look more at positive things and less at negative.

It's a journey we all have to go on, we need to recalibrate ourselves. Looking back at all the things we've done over our lives in a different perspective, looking forward, wondering who the real "us" are in amongst the masks we create to hide in general society.

CBT was ok, I did some prior to my diagnosis. It helped me see how hard I am on myself and how much I can focus on things I can't control. I also had some post diagnosis education sessions, I don't think all providers do that, which seems odd, just being diagnosed and left without any info is a scary prospect.  most of the resources used are out there online though, just take some time to search out and read stuff, it helps.

It may feel scary but it can only be positive having more information about yourself so you can look after your needs in a way that helps you and understand what you need to do differently, what to avoid and what to embrace in life and know the reasons behind your reactions to things.

You'll get there, you'll find a new normal and some balance. We're all here to reach out to when it gets tough too. 

• Welcome aboard!

I was recently diagnosed in feb, I think it's different for everyone but the common theme is that it's a kind of shock, even if you were expecting it.

Over the few months since mine I've slowly felt better, I've started to look more at positive things and less at negative.

It's a journey we all have to go on, we need to recalibrate ourselves. Looking back at all the things we've done over our lives in a different perspective, looking forward, wondering who the real "us" are in amongst the masks we create to hide in general society.

CBT was ok, I did some prior to my diagnosis. It helped me see how hard I am on myself and how much I can focus on things I can't control. I also had some post diagnosis education sessions, I don't think all providers do that, which seems odd, just being diagnosed and left without any info is a scary prospect.  most of the resources used are out there online though, just take some time to search out and read stuff, it helps.

It may feel scary but it can only be positive having more information about yourself so you can look after your needs in a way that helps you and understand what you need to do differently, what to avoid and what to embrace in life and know the reasons behind your reactions to things.

You'll get there, you'll find a new normal and some balance. We're all here to reach out to when it gets tough too. 

Children
  • Hi :) Thank you for your kind words and reply, I really appreciate it :) It's a big relief to know I can come here and reach out to others who understand and empathise. I completely agree with all your words and will do my best to search and read as much as possible to understand myself better. I also got diagnosed in February too actually! Took me some time to come to terms with it and reach out, as you are right, it was a shock, but it made sense and I am really glad I know am aware. Thanks again, it made me happy to read your response :)