Hello :)

Hi everyone. I am a woman in my 30s and I live in the U.S.

I haven't been given a formal diagnosis, but the doctor who reviewed my assessment stated I would've been diagnosed with Aspergers if it were still a valid diagnosis. She said I have type 1 ADD, social anxiety, and an avoidant personality. With all of this, I am still struggling to understand whether or not I am actually autistic. 

If I would've been diagnosed with Aspergers, doesn't that mean I AM autistic? I'm struggling with this because I have done so much research about the autism spectrum and the results that the doctor gave me don't feel valid or right.

I feel like I am just searching for answers. I know that within the community, self-diagnosis is valid. But in everyday life, it doesn't matter unless I have a formal diagnosis. I am not entitled to accommodations without a formal diagnosis. I could get a second opinion, I guess, but I don't know if it's really worth the trouble, time, or money. I just want to know why I am the way I am, and I want help and support in how to live my life in an easier, less exhausting way.

Anyway, I'm so new to this, and I'm just looking for a community of people like me.

Parents
  • Hello

I'm a 40-year-old who loves photography, reading, music and podcasts. My goal is to finish my coloring, and puzzles books. 

I attend a social group about twice a month where we do arts and crafts, play games, and listen to guest speakers. Find your passions and a supportive community like I have!"

There is a support group which meets every month for 2 hours. A small fee. Unfortunately the venue is at a weatherspoons which isn't nice and there is a dark alleyway. I'll give it a miss.

• Hello

I'm a 40-year-old who loves photography, reading, music and podcasts. My goal is to finish my coloring, and puzzles books. 

I attend a social group about twice a month where we do arts and crafts, play games, and listen to guest speakers. Find your passions and a supportive community like I have!"

There is a support group which meets every month for 2 hours. A small fee. Unfortunately the venue is at a weatherspoons which isn't nice and there is a dark alleyway. I'll give it a miss.

Children
No Data