National Insurance Voluntary Contributions

Hi

I'm the parent and carer of an autistic adult son, now aged 24.  He has a supported part-time job now, but realistically will never live fully independently - we are hoping to get him into some kind of supported living when the time comes (I'm now 60).  We have power of attorney over his finances (he has a childlike 'money sense'). He receives PIP and now earns about £163 per week in wages.

While contributing towards his upkeep and paying his own expenses he is still accumulating savings, now amounting to several thousands of pounds, and is expected to receive a lump sum from the estate of his grandmother who recently passed away.  I am wondering whether simply accumulating more savings is the best use for this, as it is sometimes difficult simply to keep ahead of depreciation due to inflation, and having a large sum sum saved can make him ineligible for many benefits.

What I'm asking is about the advisability of making voluntary contributions to his national insurance record - according to the government website this can be done all the way back to the 2017/2018 tax year, at the rate of about £800 per year, and thus build up some entitlement for other benefits, and the state pension, when the time comes.  I'd appreciate any advice on the wisdom of this. Maybe we should save for an annuity (he has a private pension already) or even save for his own flat instead?

Thanks,

TonyH

Parents
  • What I'm asking is about the advisability of making voluntary contributions to his national insurance record - according to the government website this can be done all the way back to the 2017/2018 tax year, at the rate of about £800 per year, and thus build up some entitlement for other benefits, and the state pension

I'd recommend this.

30 years worth is required for the state pension, I believe.

• What I'm asking is about the advisability of making voluntary contributions to his national insurance record - according to the government website this can be done all the way back to the 2017/2018 tax year, at the rate of about £800 per year, and thus build up some entitlement for other benefits, and the state pension

I'd recommend this.

30 years worth is required for the state pension, I believe.

Children