Is it a thing to be a full time carer (as a father)

I would like to know people’s views as my daughter needs a lot of work at the moment, I’m currently on the sick from work and can’t see a way back and my wife is self employed with a lot more flexibility than myself, what help is there if I choose to care for my daughter full time or will I be forced to go out and find a job if I leave? I have qualifications in surveying and my current job takes me abroad which I would like to stop 

Parents
  • I was a "stay at home Dad" for a while which includes running the house (and should have included doing the shopping).

I liked it. It allowed me to mock womens talk of "emancipation" too, because, gasp, it turns out they were making a really big deal about the rigors of housework.

It was better than working for a living!

Discarding male traditional roles has been good for me personally, but not so much for society at large, I think. 

To restore a living room after a toddler and your O/H have devastated it if approached from a male perspective bcomes rather easy and quick (45 minutes)

1. Identify the coffee table or similar area which needs to be empty and clean as the primary dumping ground. 

2. Go round the room like a whirlwind and stick everything that is not in it's place on the dumping ground, until there is no more space.

3. Get all that schwag OUT of the living room. Then GOTO step 2 until both table and everywhere else is free of schwag.

4. Put all furniture into centre of room and vaccuum and dust periphery

5. Put furniture back and vaccum clean it as neccesary.

6 Vacuum & dust rest of room moving table as neccesary.

7. Wipe paintwork etc down as required.

8 Put on Kettle and roll a fat one. Well, a thin one, really, you still have the rest of the house to do, and you have to be at the school for half past three...  

• It’s the finance side I’m worried about

Reply Children
  • Theres a young lad name of Caelus somewhere hereabouts who understands and actually uses money very efficiently. He's a bit young and not always right in his opinions (In my opinion!) but he's demonstrated real life skill and understanding of money management. He has reminded me of some sound money lessons I learned forty years ago. We could all learn a bit from each other I feel.

The playing field is very much uphill initially, but any game played on a slope requires a bit of different thinking to master it... 

Good luck. 

• YOU close that by cutting expenditure, and in my case I found about 100 quid a week of doing computer fairs selling laptops etc.  

Once you really start looking inwards and trying to see what expenditures you could actually do without in order to make things work, after a while you get really aware of how easy it is to squander your money.