Helloooo

Hi, I’m a 48 year old single mum to one, they’re 20 years old and they were diagnosed as autistic at 15, I was referred 12 months ago for assessment (still waiting). I am actually very aware that I’m autistic- but when the offspring was diagnosed it made it really clear that that was what was going on with me. Some friends have said I’m more autistic than the child. I refer to the child as the child, because they are non binary and although over 18, I’m not naming them. 

I work but have changed my jobs a lot over the years. I can’t cope with too much paperwork, I currently have my Rubik’s speed cube by my desk so I can fiddle with it when I need to relax, and I’m allowed/encouraged to go for a walk if I need to. 

I’ve had a lot of special interests over the years- Lego, Harry Potter, Star Wars (but not Lego Star Wars), graffiti, crochet, electronics, computers, music… I buy ordinance survey maps and read them for hours. I’m fascinated by die Mauer and ostolgie ( the Berlin Wall and nostalgia for the former East German culture) and I know just about every serial killer documentary. The child doesn’t share many of my special interests! 

so yeah. Being autistic and parenting solo. It’s been fun! 

Parents
  • Sorry had a phone glitch. I was reading your story and found it really interesting. I am 35 and have 2 children, my son who is 14 was diagnosed with autism last summer and currently can't attend school, the only time I can get him out the house is to walk our dog. I had such a long struggle to get him diagnosed. I have always thought I to have Autism I have only ever mentioned it to my mum who agreed but the thought of talking to anyone else about it fills me with real anxiety. I feel sad to hear my son going through all the things I have struggled with and feel helpless. Everywhere I go I seem to get passed on to a different department or told things are not suitable as he really struggles to engage with anyone he doesn't know. He's such a chatty funny incredible person but is also isolated and lonely. 

• Sorry had a phone glitch. I was reading your story and found it really interesting. I am 35 and have 2 children, my son who is 14 was diagnosed with autism last summer and currently can't attend school, the only time I can get him out the house is to walk our dog. I had such a long struggle to get him diagnosed. I have always thought I to have Autism I have only ever mentioned it to my mum who agreed but the thought of talking to anyone else about it fills me with real anxiety. I feel sad to hear my son going through all the things I have struggled with and feel helpless. Everywhere I go I seem to get passed on to a different department or told things are not suitable as he really struggles to engage with anyone he doesn't know. He's such a chatty funny incredible person but is also isolated and lonely. 

Children
No Data