Hypersensitivity

My hypersensitivity is becoming a problem in the sense that I'm always in pain and unable to tolerate light. My doctor is aware of this and how bad it is and after extensive tests she agreed it's autism related and now it's sort of like 'Well, good luck with life...' and I've been left to deal with it on my own.

I don't work, I tried but the stress led to a breakdown and hospitalisation which led to unnecessary medication - not a nice situation to have been. I spend all my time at home, usually in bed reading my Kindle - I like to dabble in art and painting - is a good way of expressing how I'm feeling and painting some colour in to what's otherwise a grey world.

I've inquired about my hypersensitivities with a lot of different people now - including professional organisations - but literally no body cares or wants to help or know. I feel in it alone. I feel like I'm existing in this world but not living - I just read and watch movies and listen to music - from day to night, the same cycle every day.

I've had enough and it's frustrating me now. I've looked for professional support but there's none - hopefully being here will help me instead.

Claire.

• Hi Claire

sirry this is a delayed response. I have only just joined (diagnosed last year after 40 years of misdiagnosis) 

I have very similar issues to you and Uhane. It’s very restrictive in my life. I posted a new discussion thread yesterday specifically about my problem with clothing but I react in what looks like an auto inflammatory way to most things (food, smells, heat, cold, light, touch…) I have seen people about it but they haven’t been able to help manage it. What we have learned is that these responses are governed by Mast Cells and some people can have overly or inappropriately active mast cells either because of a rare primary mast cell disease or more often as a co-morbid condition with things like EDS, POTS, and there seems to be some research going into whether there is an involvement of Mast cells in autism. 
    I hope you have found someone to help you in general but, even though this route hasn’t solved the problem for me, it helps me to create a mental model of what is happening and there are things you can do to help manage the symptoms if it is a mast cell/histamine intolerance issue such as prescription antihistamines. 
    Dr Tania Dempsey has an informative page. And Dr Afrin does a lot of YouTube webinars for EDS org which would be a good place to start if you were interested in finding out about it. 
    Have you or anyone else tried Sensory Integration Therapy? This is what my assessors have suggested to me

• I have recently gotten a small mask that people use when spray painting. It's done wonders. I altered it so I can just hold it up to my face when a toxin are around and breathe till it passes.

• I am allergic to lots of foods. I am also hypersensitive to perfumes and synthetic compounds like cleansers, detergents, deodorant, air fresheners, perfumes, 2nd hand tobacco etc.

One of the most distressing is exhaled 2nd hand vapor or crystals of meth amphetamine (It's pervasive here on the islands): tung blisters, throat feels like bee stings, acute nose and sinus pain, head ache, nausea, throat closing up, brain fog, memory become "frozen".

Does anyone else experience this? All the people around me seem to be quietly tolerating it or making a face of displeasure but not much more. The smell and effect is so strong to me but it doesn't seem to bother other people, or they are immured mentally already,  and I find myself in envy of that if not for the blessing of flowers, ozone and other marvels of the olfactory world.

• I'm sorry, that must be awful for you. It's good you have been referred to a pain clinic, they will be able to help you manage your pain and hopefully do pain therapy which could make a positive difference and make things better for you. I suffer from ME and chronic pain and this is managed by a pain clinic. I hope they will be able to help you. Keep your spirits up.

• You are welcome.  We lost Debbie from our number very recently.....I don't like loosing people.....I am increasingly suspicious of new "people"....so seeing a familiar face, who I know is real and measured and constructive is a genuine relief from pain, for me.

• Thanks Number, what a nice comment to wake up to!

• AukTriker presence = effective pain relief for Number.  Thank you.

• Yes, pain meds don't always help, and somehow we don't always seem to react the same way to meds. I'm glad you have at least been referred to a pain clinic and hope they can help.

• Hello. Yes, pain medication has been prescribed but made no difference and the side effects had a negative effect on my stomach unfortunately. I have at least been referred to a pain clinic but I don't know how long that will take, I'm hoping in a couple of months I'll know more and have more solutions to dealing with and managing the pain.

• That sounds awful! I assume they have tried pain meds? Have you been referred to a pain clinic? Just assuming it's autism and thus untreatable is not OK! It might be fibromyalgia but sadly that probably wouldn't be any better... But I think a pain clinic might be able to help with ways to deal with it?