Recently diagnosed adult finding it difficult to recover skills and activity levels

I have been encouraged to seek out community by my psychologist.  I think the idea is that I might be able to develop a broader understanding of autism / neurodivergence following my autism assessment, which was quite deficit focused.

In browsing the discussions I have found myself drawn to the subject of autistic burnout - .https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/mental-health/autistic-fatigue/autistic-adults .

Parents
  • Hello and welcome.

It was burnout that set me on my journey to autism diagnosis. First I was diagnosed with exhaustion, then depression and it was only after 2.5 years that I was finally diagnosed with autism.

So I’ve had three years of chronic burnout. Sometimes disabling enough that I had to take several weeks of work at a time.

I’m still suffering from it but it is not as bad as it has been. With a little more energy and hope building, I now plan to attempt what I am led to believe is the only real way to defeat autistic burnout: re-engaging with my special interests, which I have neglected for the last three years.

If anyone has any other advice I’ll be very interested to read it too!

• Hello and welcome.

It was burnout that set me on my journey to autism diagnosis. First I was diagnosed with exhaustion, then depression and it was only after 2.5 years that I was finally diagnosed with autism.

So I’ve had three years of chronic burnout. Sometimes disabling enough that I had to take several weeks of work at a time.

I’m still suffering from it but it is not as bad as it has been. With a little more energy and hope building, I now plan to attempt what I am led to believe is the only real way to defeat autistic burnout: re-engaging with my special interests, which I have neglected for the last three years.

If anyone has any other advice I’ll be very interested to read it too!

Children
No Data